Menu
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Running BQM with TP-Link Deco mesh systems

Just sharing something I've come across for the benefit of other "tech-interested" forum members.  Put simply, anybody running a BQM with some/all Deco mesh systems running latest firmware and in router mode will find that the BQM doesn't work - a solid page of red packet loss.

This is down to a poor choice by TP-Link in a recent firmware update, where they changed the default from ICMP enabled to ICMP disabled, without allowing it as a toggle option.  Whilst there's some logic in what they've done, it's something that's less good when you want to use ICMP, as running a BQM requires.

This has been raised by customers in TP-Link's forum, so it might yet reappear.  For the time being the easiest way of getting a BQM is to flick the hub into router mode (noting that the external IP address changes when you do this) and the Deco into Access point mode.  I wouldn't leave the hub and mesh like that other than for the purposes of getting a BQM, because I believe any mesh system will be a better router than an ISP hub.

Anybody running a BQM on a Deco system may wish to ,hold off updating firmware until further notice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Running BQM with TP-Link Deco mesh systems

Cheers that explains a few anomalies that have been appearing - did you fall into that little hole yourself with your M4's ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:
Cheers that explains a few anomalies that have been appearing - did you fall into that little hole yourself with your M4's ?

Not as such, because I've not been having any problems, but was following up some other people's problems, and found that my own Deco's were bouncing ICMP.  A touch disappointing that TP-Link did't think that through, on the other hand I'd still recommend the product with only the most minimal of reservations.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can you choose not to install the firmware update or is it done automatically? What is TP-Link's record like on responding to feedback from users in their fora and so getting the "selectable toggle" any time soon?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have chosen not to upgrade the firmware of my router as it's reliable - although the download speeds are well down (but good enough). My belief is that router suppliers tend to give little or no support for reverting to previous firmware, not surprising as upgrades are meant to provide enhancements or fix bugs.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is there not better "alternative" firmwares available - a lot of Asus router users prefer to use Merlin" firmware for example?

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As far as I can see there's no open source firmware options for any TP-LInk Deco and even if there were, I'd be reluctant to risk bricking my excellent wifi just because I'd need to temporarily run it in AP mode to get a BQM.  WRT is probably fine for "enthusiast grade" products from the likes of Asus there's a large and knowledgeable user community, I'm not convinced that the people who develop and maintain WRT would have much time for a "wifi-as-appliance" mesh system.

The firmware update (certainly on mine) was manual; Unfortunately ICMP disablement was not specified, but part of "Security enhancements".

In terms of will TP-Link put it back in, who knows - they went to the effort of turning it off in response to user requests, and there's now been user requests to make it selectable.  According to comments on the TP-Link forums, the ICMP setting is simply a switch in the config file, the problem is that there's no user access to it, nor any known way of editing the config file.  Would seem a simple enough change to add it back in as an option that defaults to off, which should please everybody.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Andrew-G wrote:

This is down to a poor choice by TP-Link in a recent firmware update, where they changed the default from ICMP enabled to ICMP disabled, without allowing it as a toggle option.  Whilst there's some logic in what they've done, it's something that's less good when you want to use ICMP, as running a BQM requires.

Its to stop ICMP flooding your upstream by downstream for me I can firewall ICMP for BQM only, a flood by that IP can happen by a DoS yes but unlikely. Due to how simple home routers are thier is no firewall.      

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos