Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Router extension

Hi, now working from home I need immediate access via the router, but the router is in the lounge and i need access in the office which is on a separate electrical circuit.

Can you fit an external extension from the outside into the office.

I have been advise by my tech guys that I must access via the router not Wifi.

Can you help.

Thanks

Stephen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Router extension

Hi,

Probably the best solution would be to get an ethernet cable run from the hub to the office. 

Depending on the distance either a pre-made lead or get some Cat6 cable run with connectors at each end obviously. Not something VM do anymore unfortunately.

Please hit the Kudos thumb to say thanks and mark answer as Helpful if the reply has helped at all

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes retro-tech is right. Run a Cat6 ethernet cable from the Hub to where you want it. 10/20/50 metre runs are quite cheap from the usual online places.
If you need several wired connections in there, just add an unmanaged 4-8 Gb port "switch (<£20) on there - you can then also plug in a cheapish wireless access point into one of the ports to give better quality wifi in there.

Note - that "flat" cable is relatively easy to hide under carpet, by skirting boards, etc - or just use it for the duration of the work and then roll it up into a cupboard until next time. Can also get exterior grade quality cable and run it outside and back in if convenient - for permanent use

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to get Virgin Media to install some sort of external extension into my office.

I will give your suggestion a try if I am unsuccessful.

Stephen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I was hoping VM would be able to install an external extension to the office. Cant get hold of anybody there to discuss.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Stephencage wrote:

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to get Virgin Media to install some sort of external extension into my office.

I will give your suggestion a try if I am unsuccessful.

Stephen.

Hi Stephen

you will be unsuccessful as it is not a service VM provide.  They will only install one hub in one location in your house and it is then up to you to facilitate any Internet distribution within your property.

You can ask them to move the hub and set it up in a different room, for £99, but I'm not sure if they are doing those type of visits during the current crisis.  They are prioritising fault resolution and installs for people with no broadband.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos