Menu
tom11111
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Replacing Superhub 3. Which router? ASUS RT-AC86U?

I want to put my superhub 3 into modem mode and replace it with a router. Any suggestions with a budget of £150? Is the ASUS RT-AC86U good 

0 Kudos
SonarUK
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Replacing Superhub 3. Which router? ASUS RT-AC86U?

that would be a good choice.

the next big upgrade is around £250 for the AX86U

if not any of them. the only other choice is a netgear nighthawk that run roughly at the same price range.

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

M500 | Hub 3 Modem Mode | Asus RT-AX86U (Stock-Firmware)
0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you don't need AX, then the AC86U is a very capable router. Had mine since 2017 with a SH2 in modem mode. It regularly handles around 20 devices streaming video and audio and online gaming and working from home. Can even max out our 200/20 service on speed tests on the 5 GHz network.

At that price, the Netgear R7800 is also popular, but I don't have any experience with it. Have come close to getting one a few times to see if it lives up to the hype though.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
0 Kudos
Gandi69
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I run an 7800 with openwrt on it for a while, wasn’t a bad little router though I didn’t really use it’s own WiFi as I have dedicated access points. 
I only upgraded as I wanted something more flexible and powerful with multi Ethernet wan 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What are you replacing the router for? Is it to get improved routing functionality or to get improved wifi (or both)?

If its primarily for improving wifi - I would look at a Mesh system. £150 will get a decent Mesh 3-pack - like a TP-Link Deco M4 or M5 - or look for a Mesh wifi router so you can add in that functionality later - this is an example of a tri-band Mesh router.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AX92U-Multi-Story-Inter-Router-AiProtection/dp/B07SCBMMS8/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos