cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove NTL boxes

pauljmoore
Joining in

Hi,

I want to have some old NTL boxes removed.  How do I get this done?  Can I simply terminate the cable myself?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can remove them as there only data in the wires.  If you want to be really nice, you can remove everything back to the omnibox and use a 75 Ohm termination cap on the last connection.  This will stop any noise ingress back to your neighbours.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can remove them as there only data in the wires.  If you want to be really nice, you can remove everything back to the omnibox and use a 75 Ohm termination cap on the last connection.  This will stop any noise ingress back to your neighbours.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

pauljmoore
Joining in

Thanks Adduxi.

pauljmoore
Joining in

@Virgin.  Can you comment please.

Looking at the box on the outside wall there is a co-ax, but also telephone wires (a blue-white pair) leading to the extension.  What is to be done with the telephone pair?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM are moving all users to VOIP, so no longer use the old copper phone wires.  You can just cut them at the jelly crimps, or insulate with tape.

Yorkist
On our wavelength

Adduxi, will the copper wires still not be used if a landline is retained or the only service?  Understand they will be redundant if DSL/co-ax wiring is installed or present.