cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Catv cover - want to drop kerb what do I do

Martyn_76
On our wavelength

Hi, I have this issue aswell. Outside my property is the small CATV cover. The council will not grant me permission to have a dropped kerb until its moved which is ultimately effecting the value of my property. Any help in moving it will be greatly appreciated. 

23 REPLIES 23

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You can ask Virgin Media to move the cover and the box under it.  It will also affect the cables. This will be very expensive.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

wait for VM to get to the thread - they will come and look but they will charge you for that - a few hundred pounds i think - they may drop the manhole cover again at cost to you but getting them to move it will be all but impossible - if you can convince them to move it think 5 figures 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Martyn_76
On our wavelength

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the response. I hope they see sense and move it. Annoyingly my neighbour's cover is to one side whereas mine is dead centre. Makes no sense at all and no thought from the installers for future property improvements. I cant see how they can penalise me further by not moving it. If they respond I shall let you know how it goes.

Martyn

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

are we discussing an entry point  cover or a manhole - a vast difference - post a photo

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Martyn_76
On our wavelength

Small 70mm x 70mm square metal cover.

Not the large catv manhole.

File size too big to attach a picture.

The council dictate where the covers go.  It could also be that when they drop the curb the utility ducting wont meet the requirements for depth

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

thats the cover for the cable feed - they are usually near the boundary between your property and the pavement and in an area that should be about the same height after the dropped kerb work 

but i have no idea of council rules regarding the position of them in a dropped kerb area - are you sure the council know what you are describing - or could it be they think its a manhole cover and pit below it

if the council regulations say the feed duct cannot be in a dropped kerb area then its possible to move it i would think - you need to get more info from the council and confirm that you are both talking about the same thing - if their regs do say it must be moved then you need to come back to VM - it will still need council permission to dig and move it 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

No council is going to permit a drop kerb if it means a vehicle can run over a utility cover which is not strengthened for this purpose. If the cover is for a pavement tee it will need to be moved, but if this entails doing a duct move (meaning lowering) VM is most unlikely to do it in the near future.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Not quite the same thing but when we wanted our dropped kerb widened it had to be on the opposite side to the one we wanted because the gas pipe to the house ran under our preferred side. There was no indication of this on the surface but the council said it prevented a dropped kerb there. 

Whatever happens in your case, if you want Virgin to do any work you will have to pay for it. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.