Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Query about new broadband/TV installation

Just curious really ! I was visiting a friend who had recently got new VM service installed. I was looking at it, and noticed a couple of things I'd not seen before:

1. The external brown box was rather bigger than ones I'd seen elsewhere. It was deeper, and had a slightly bigger footprint. It was fully cuboid (ie no tapered surfaces)

2. Internally, there as a little white mains plug-in power supply which had a coax cable output. This cable disappeared into the white internal wall box. My friend was advised that this needed to stay on permanently.

What is the PSU supplying ?

The other coax from the white wall box went off behind the tv, where it was split, as expected, across the hub (version not noted) and the V6 box. The phone was plugged in, via an adaptor, to a telephony port on the hub. The internet connection was not high speed (only 50 Mbps down, as required by the user).

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to what sort of setup this is .... Ta.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Query about new broadband/TV installation

Hello

That is FTTP i.e. Fibre to the premises, where the other way that a lot of the older installations is FTTC i.e. fibre to the cabinet, which uses a hybrid coaxial from the cabinet to the house.

The mains adapter is for the fibre connection to be converted to coaxial, which use to be done at the cabinet.

She has a hub 3 as it has a phone connector, all new phone installations are doing using 21CN no longer do we have the older telephone cables as these are being phased out, full digital phone will be switch over by all providers by end of 2025.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The fibre optic cable terminates in what is called an ONT that is enclosed in the brown omni box. As the ONT does conversion to/from RF it needs power which is supplied from inside the house. If that power supply is cut off she will lose everything - broadband, TV and phone.

As for broadband speeds: regardless of whether there is fibre or coax to the premise all speeds are the same, namely M50, M100, M200, M350, M500 and Gig1. New customers usually get the hub 3.0 and only the hub 4 can deliver Gig1.

Edit: Upgrades for eligible Ultimate Oomph customers from 500Mbps to 600Mbps will be completed by 31 March 2021.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Mike,

Thanks. I was wondering if it was that. I hadn't realised that it was being rolled out in my area (Co Down, N Ireland). Regarding what you say about telephony, does that mean, in future, phones will be true VOIP connected via Ethernet ?

Cheers, Don

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Roger,

Thanks - that's interesting, and certainly explains what all I saw !

Cheers, Don

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

It isnt actually true VOIP it is something called 21CN, the hub converts the standard analog phone line to a RF feed down the Fibre and then this is converted back to a digital exchange.

If you have a look at https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchanges/21cn_overview it will explain more about the way it works, although this page mentions BT it will be the same for VM etc.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

For FTTP networks I'm expecting VM to migrate to EPON, a network that uses IP to carry data, voice, and video.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

It isnt actually true VOIP it is something called 21CN, the hub converts the standard analog phone line to a RF feed down the Fibre and then this is converted back to a digital exchange.

If you have a look at https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchanges/21cn_overview it will explain more about the way it works, although this page mentions BT it will be the same for VM etc.

Regards Mike

There is this presentation that VM (and BT) made to trade group last year that has more details on how the VM version of IP telephony system works:

https://www.tsa-voice.org.uk/downloads/events_2019/tsa_summer_forum_2019/day_2_-_digital_transformat...

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos