Menu
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

QRM, EMC, noisy electronic equipment, Ferrites etc etc

Hello,

Firstly thanks for taking the time to read my post. I just want to point out that I do not have a technical problem with my virgin services (out with the current area issues).

I am a Licensed Amateur Radio operator I am constantly battling with QRM, EMC etc etc.

Our broadband router & their power packs in particular give off tons of noise like most switch mode power packs including switches, cheap LED lights etc.

I am more than positive VM are within OFCOM guidelines on this however it doesn't help me nor my hobby.

So I want to gather your suggestions such as ferrite and anything else you can come up with to help us radio guys to clean up the QRM a bit.

Look forward to your suggestions.

73s,

May the force be with you,

MOA.

Local heart throb to anything technical.
Using a HUB 2ac in modem mode, Netgear R7800 Router with the DNS on cloudflare's, Netgear switch & NAS
image host
0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: QRM, EMC, noisy electronic equipment, Ferrites etc etc

Hi MOA,

Glancing at your BQM you have a very poor line, which may be due to noise ingress. 

You should be posting your stats in the Networking-and-WiFi Forum  so the tech guru's there can have  a look and see if they can help. 

They will be pleased that you already have the BQM.

Also you could possibly be looking at a newer Hub3 router.

Using an ethernet connection in your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return.

Don't login, instead below there click on Check Router Status

From the Router Status page copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data into your thread – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. 

Don't worry, if you copy paste those stats it won't reveal any personal information.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi there MasterofArts, thanks for posting.

I can see you're using a hub 2.  Is there any particular reason for this?  Have you previously had a hub 3 and it did not get on with some 3rd party equipment?  If not would you consider changing to a hub 3?

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

IMG_20200806_180201.jpg

Hi guys,

If you don't mind Keeping this post on topic

😎👍

The line has been very noisy but it's been a combination of area issues and me relocating the modem to another part of the room .... Will balance out over the next couple of hours.

Wouldn't touch Puma 4 or 5 with a barge pole tbh👌

EDIT:

screen shot 1 as off: 06.08.20 (18:07)

[Next screen shot will be added within next 24 hrs to show broadband monitor improvements]

MOA.

Using a HUB 2ac in modem mode, Netgear R7800 Router with the DNS on cloudflare's, Netgear switch & NAS
image host
0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I did have to ask if you'd consider the upgrade, as I have not accessed your details.  I cannot verify if there is an area fault.

Please do reach out if you want me to take a closer look.

Regards

Lee_R

MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No worries mate I will do, when I relocated the hardware the RG8 coax wasn't a tight fit. 

I have noted though via Down detector a number of complaints in my area.... Once it's fizzed out and balanced off I will do a trace route but any issues have only been over the last 7 days... I just added to the mix with decorating 😆👍

MOA.

image host
0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

IMG_20200806_190917.jpg

Thanks for your concern though it is appreciated and nice to see from both staff & members.

Check my monitor in a few hours and it should be back to magnificent with the odd Alexa spike 😎

Current stats which is a lot better compared to when the coax was loose

Downstream

Power Level (dBmV)4.744.814.744.584.294.003.743.69
RxMER (dB)37.9437.9437.9437.9438.6138.2638.2638.26

Upstream

Power Level (dBmV)41.7541.7541.5041.50

Will be looking at the jitter, ping, packet loss and a quick trace route shortly but certainly my upload & download is back to normal.

All post RS errors are 0 and the Reed Solomon algorithm is certainly still doing its job 👍

MOA.

image host
0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Dave,

Thanks for your input as per my previous replies to VM staff I have been decorating hence the noisy looking line as everything was disconnected & plugged in various times.

I don't have a spectrum analyser only a vector network analyser however once everything is back to normal and cables are tidy again it should balance off unless the noise is coming from the VM cabinet. Been intermittent issues though in my area for the past week with DNS outages but I didn't have it because I don't use VMs DNS tbh.

Check back tomorrow and I'm sure it will fizz out bar Alexa spikes & speedchecks.

Do you have any suggestions for my query on the OP though? 👍

MOA.

image host
0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi again MOA,

I'm sorry I wish could help, but I'm afraid I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

On another note though, the service status page isn't always up to date. You could try the  Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level so you can keep an eye on any problems of VM's making.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No worries dood much appreciated anyway.

Well that's the decorating done, cables tidy and both VM modem & Netgear R7800 in their new homes, let's see from this point. 

I was actually part of a particular Sam knows project about 15 years ago which these monitors run from. I was also the grey jedi that discovered a major vulnerability with UPnP on Various Netgear routers, thankfully Ive retired from IT bar the odd bugcrowd job now... Couldn't be a$$ed dealing with crabit customers 😆👍

MOA.

image host
0 Kudos