Menu
tomcoleman
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Purchase New Super Hub 4.0

can i purchase the new hub 4 so i can take advantage of the better wifi speeds/coverage?

Hub 4 router is powered by an Intel Puma 7 chipset and supports the wave 2 802.11ac WiFi standard, including 3×3 MIMO on the 2.4GHz band and 4×4 MIMO on the 5GHz frequency.

I saw this was released today.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/revealed-expected-price-of-virgin-medias-uk-1gbps-broa...

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: Purchase New Super Hub 4.0

no such device exists.
the only hub currently available to virgin customers is the hub3, and you never own it. it's only ever loaned to you for the duration of your contract.

and even on reading that link, it is suggested it's only for people in Southamption that choose to take the 1Gbps package, not for general release.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

so to nip it in the bud straight away.
this new hub is only available to those taking the Gig1 package (which is only southampton at the moment)

"Customers taking Gig1 will benefit from Virgin Media’s new and best ever equipped gigabit capable router – the Hub 4. The new router is Virgin Media’s fastest to date and features improved WiFi hardware to provide speedy and reliable connectivity throughout customers’ homes.

The Hub 4 boasts more antennae than its predecessor, the Hub 3, meaning it can manage multiple devices at the same time around the home which can all share the hyperfast speed.

The new router makes use of the operator’s next generation broadband technology, known as DOCSIS 3.1, which it will deploy across its entire cable network over time."

of course, the most important feature is switching on modem mode.

0 Kudos
tomcoleman
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

werid as i spoke to an online chat "sales person" who said that they will be upgrading / selling the new hub.

I have the 500mb package and need a faster wifi solution for mutiple devices, i could go modem mode and by a 3rd party wifi6 router but thought i would wait for the hub 4.0.

The Hub 4 boasts more antennae than its predecessor, the Hub 3, meaning it can manage multiple devices at the same time around the home which can all share the hyperfast speed.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@tomcoleman wrote:

werid as i spoke to an online chat "sales person" who said that they will be upgrading / selling the new hub.

I have the 500mb package and need a faster wifi solution for mutiple devices, i could go modem mode and by a 3rd party wifi6 router but thought i would wait for the hub 4.0.

if it follows VM's usual route the UI and any settings will be pared back to keep things simple for tech support - the spec and potential may be great but that wont be available i would guess

buy a wifi router with full spec and all settings available - that will be far better than the hub4 as and when its generally available 

Tony
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, the only thing it’s got going for it DOCSIS 3.1 and there will have to be a lot of upgrades for all the network to support that. It also looks like it’s a Hub4 NOT a SuperHub4. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
tonycv51
Rising star
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Puma 7 chipset so still impacted by the design flaw

Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Just to be clear: the hub 4, like all VM equipment, is never for sale by VM. If you want better WiFi VM would no doubt point you in the direction of Intelligent WiFi.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
tprronnie
Tuning in
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

same here chenks seems to be replying everywhere to this like he is anti virgin
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@tprronnie wrote:
same here chenks seems to be replying everywhere to this like he is anti virgin

"anti-virgin"? in what way?

the hub is only available to those on Gig1 package - it's quite clear to understand.
we don't need everyone asking the same question over and over again.

0 Kudos