The speeds via my PC had dropped to around 250Mbps following the last windows update, however everything else was connected by ethernet and wifi was showing the top speed expected. I checked and tightened all the cables, even use a new ethernet cable, however no change.
I tried deleting and reinstallling the drivers and network adapters via Device Manager. This had no effect, PC speeds where still half what was expected.
I performed a Windows Restore and everything is running 100%.
Speed tests taken via the Ookla Speed Test app always shows the full speed, however taking the test on their website shows speeds around 60 or 70Mbps
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
I’m on the 100Mbps package. But initially VM sent down an incorrect config file to my Hub 3 which had a the download speed set to 1Gbps. So it ran flat out and topped out at above 850Mbps. Which is about right for the way VM have configured DOCSIS 3.0. Unfortunately the error has now been corrected.
Always been on the 100 Mbps package from Day 1. When they upgraded the upload speed from 6 Mbps to 10 Mbps they sent down a new config file to the Hub 3 which also reset the download speed back to the correct 100 Mbps. If you look at the config file in the Hub you will see they always set it a bit higher. I'm a bit out of my technical depth here, but I think this is because speedtest applications like speedtest.net measure at Level 4 of the 7 layer ISO Model which gives a lower reading than the real underlying data speed because of all the extra information embedded in the data at that level.