Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Possibility to change ip

Hi

I am just a Gamer and im about to change my broadcast from SKY to Virginmedia. 

Many people make the lives of others miserable through Dos attacks. Therefore, I need to know if VirginMedia has the ability to change ip (for example, after restarting the router)?

Quick reply will  be very useful

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possibility to change ip

No.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Simple answer is NO, your IP is fixed, basically one of two IP addresses, one if you use router mode and one if you use modem mode. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

With virgin equipment no but you could also use a vpn as long as no one doesn’t know you’re real wan ip.

or ASUS routers have the ability to change your wan ip via MAC address cloning this has saved my butt twice, not sure about other brands.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well, kinda mixed answer for you.

todays internet mostly uses ip4 but this is pretty much “full” and is replaced by much larger set of ids in ip6. Your virgin main out facing ip address is almost certainly ip4 in the format xxx.xxx.xx.xx ( you can look up yoour out facing ip address online)

in theory, virgin ips change - they have a fixed life called a lease time, when the lease expires virgin give you a new ip.....but in practice they reassign the same ip to you...so you never actually change your ip. 

Again in theory, virgin could give you a new ip, but they seem to have a policy preventing this ( i know as i tried and failed to get a new ip assigned).

there is one way.....you need to persuade virgin to send you a new hub. If yours is faulty, they should replace it free of charge. Mine mysteriously lost power one day and i got a new one. This automatically gave me a now public ip. Not something you would be able to do regulary tho.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No. Only way around this is receiving a replacement Hub.

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Bottom line, the ip is tied to the wan mac address of your router. As has been noted if you have a router that allow you to modify the mac then yes, although if you do this then to be on the safe side just copy the mac address of a device that you own.
The ip does change by itself occasionally.
Note also that due to the limited number of ip4 addresses someone else will be getting your problem if your ip gets passed onto them.

0 Kudos