cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone ine in hub plus another phone in bedroom

jonjonml
Tuning in

If I buy a new land line phone with an answering machine and connect it to my hub with the adapter I received, can I used a second phone in the bedroom ? Without having it plugged into the hub. If yes do I just plug the second phone into the mains plug  and it will ring at the same time as the one plug into the hub ?
Look forward to a reply 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

That looks like it should work fine.

If your switchover has already happened and you need to connect a phone to the VM hub, you connect the adapter to the hub as below to the TEL1 socket

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

and plug the base station into the adapter following the setup instructions for the Panasonic. Often the phone instructions mention charging the phones up before trying to connect them or put them into use.

If your switchover has not happened yet, you would connect the base station into your telephone wall socket and use the cordless phone that way until the switchover takes place and is completed.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

To do this you need a cordless phone system.

A cordless base station, with answering machine if you want one, and a cordless phone connect to the VM hub via the adapter.

If you want another cordless satellite phone in your bedroom, this just requires a mains power socket to keep the satellite cordless phone charged up when not in use.

The cordless base station is linked wirelessly to the satellite phone. It will ring for an incoming call, if you want it to.

Thank you for your reply, so if I buy a 2 piece set with an answer machine and attached the phone with answering machine to the VM hub the phone in the bedroom will ring at the . Do you recommended any phones (Panasonic, BT etc) if not I’ll order for one online.

Many thanks 

jonjonml
Tuning in

Sorry should read both phones will ring at the same time

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@jonjonml wrote:

Thank you for your reply, so if I buy a 2 piece set with an answer machine and attached the phone with answering machine to the VM hub the phone in the bedroom will ring at the . Do you recommended any phones (Panasonic, BT etc) if not I’ll order for one online.

Many thanks 

That's correct.

Here is a link to Argos for twin cordless phones with an answering machine in the base station.

https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/technology/telephones/c:29967/answer-machine:yes/handsets:twin/

The larger base in the photos is the base station/answering machine. You would plug that into the VM hub using the VM-supplied adapter. The satellite phone with the smaller charging base goes in your bedroom. The ringer on the satellite phone can be turned on or off as you require it. Under normal circumstances when you get an incoming call, both phones and the base station would make a ringing sound but you should be able to customise what rings and when depending on the model you choose.

BT and Panasonic are popular makes.

Some BT phones have a call screening feature built in to screen out scam callers which many customers use. I would say though that BT phones tend to be mentioned more for problems on here with various features not working on a VM landline.

Panasonic is a reliable make but does not have the advanced call screening features. Another brand is Gigaset (which is made by Siemens).

BT, Panasonic and Gigaset are the ones most people seem to use on here.

Most modern cordless phones should work with the VM connection from the hub but you should buy from somewhere which has a good returns policy in the unlikely event you run into a problem of some kind.

If you already have VM's voicemail on your VM phone line, you would need to get that turned off if you are going to use your own answering machine to stop the VM voicemail service grabbing any missed calls before your answering machine picks up.

Thanks for the reply I have ordered a Panasonic KX-TGC262 Cordless phones from Amazon. So if I have any problems I can return them.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

That looks like it should work fine.

If your switchover has already happened and you need to connect a phone to the VM hub, you connect the adapter to the hub as below to the TEL1 socket

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

and plug the base station into the adapter following the setup instructions for the Panasonic. Often the phone instructions mention charging the phones up before trying to connect them or put them into use.

If your switchover has not happened yet, you would connect the base station into your telephone wall socket and use the cordless phone that way until the switchover takes place and is completed.