Menu
trainer52
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Phone connected to iD network

Hi have purchased an iPhone off eBay but didn’t realise locked to network iD, have loaded all details to iCloud etc, put in sim and it’s saying “sim not supported” any ideas what I can do? TIA Lynn x

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone connected to iD network

you'll need to get the phone network unlocked, not something virgin can do for you though.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

trainer52
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

hiya, do you know who could do it, and would i have to pay?

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

depends on the status of the phone, you should refer it back to where you bought it from.

HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Next time be careful what you buy and from where you buy it and the status of the product. As I understand it iPhones lock themselves to the first network on the first SIM card inserted and stay that way. Apple make unlocking difficult to prevent and deter theft. And they generally only allow the original purchaser to make changes

The network it is locked to is here:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage

You could try them and see if they'll help. VM can't help you.

You may have bought a useful door stop or nice ornament - sorry.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

spgray
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

usually any phone can be unlocked after the original contract minimum term has expired, so it's either locked because it's still under contract, or the orginal owner didn't bother.

trainer52
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your help, but gonna put it back on eBay, tell them it’s locked in big capitals , and let them have the hassle, Lynn 🥴😘

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Your phone is just a paperweight and worth little. Try one of the unlockers on this web page.

https://simplyfixit.co.uk/compare-iphone-unlock-services/ 

The other consideration is that the activation lock may still be on. If so you would have to contact the previous owner to get him to go to iCloud and log in to his account to erase the iPhone and remove it from his account.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

“As I understand it iPhones lock themselves to the first network on the first SIM card inserted and stay that way.“ I believe this is true only if you buy the iPhone from a network provider. If you but the iPhone directly from Apple is does not become locked to any network. I have always bought my iPhones unlocked directly from Apple and used them with various networks worldwide. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
HughJarsse
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's not definately an expensive  doorstop.... 

It's possible to get it unlocked by iD, just depends on whether it is in contract or not. 

Son bought a 2nd hand phone, was locked to iD (was very cheap!) we contacted iD via there website, they checked the phone IMEI, reported it out of contract, and sent us the unlock code free, took a couple of days, but one happy son. Think their i-phones are slightly different, but check out this from their website. 

My phone’s locked to iD Mobile. How can I unlock it?

As with most networks, iD Mobile has an unlocking policy to protect us from any potential fraudulent activity.
We can unlock your phone if you’ve been with us for more than 6 months, and you don’t have an outstanding balance on your account.
Unlocking is free, and usually takes no more than 3-5 days.
If you’d like to have your iD Mobile phone unlocked, contact us here and we’ll get right on it.

You might be able to get them to do it for free....