Menu
Pft
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Pending Broadband outage May 5th 2021

April letter from Virgin warning on May 5 2021 re: maintenance will be carried out in my area. Mediation arranged for zoom meeting May 4 2021 and cannot be cancelled taking a 14 months to arrange.

Virgin letter says, ‘ it’ll be on May 5 and keep in mind that your fibre network could be effected up to 5pm that day. We're really sorry about that’

If my zoom meeting for any part of the day before is disrupted I will lose thousands in solicitors fees due to no agreement reached in mediation due to the outage.
No answer from Virgin on the likelihood of the above happening due to knowone answering phone calls.
I am posting this for legal reasons of proof of the short time given to advance warn about said outage and no confirmation of and 'all clear' the day before forthcoming from Virgin.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pending Broadband outage May 5th 2021

Post all you like. You don't have a leg to stand on.  VM broadband is a residential service and VM reserve the right in their terms of service to interrupt it as they see fit for maintenance purposes. The letter is a courtesy. Make alternative arrangements for your Zoom meeting. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ToffeeSurprise
Superfast
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Howard's a bit on the nose there but is completely right, and it's not clear what you're trying to achieve here. You've been given notice, you've got no comeback, and it might well be there's a fault such as a fragile fibre joint that needs fixing before it fails completely. Or they need to divert a fibre because roadworks are going to cut through it. Change management are the only ones who know for definite, but it doesn't matter.

My customers paying for a leased line with a tight SLA, hundreds of times what your service costs, would be in the same boat if we were doing maintenance. And the contract, as with any other provider, states from time to time we have to take the service down for maintenance.

Whenever anyone does maintenance at any ISP, there is always someone affected no matter what time you pick. If I did something 3AM on Sunday, someone somewhere would complain.

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Your backup could be a MiFi router and a 4G data-only SIM card to create a WiFi hotspot. Some routers have Ethernet ports for plugging in devices such as PCs.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

'I am posting this for legal reasons of proof of....'

as howard has said you have no chance at all of 'winning'. yes it is frustrating but plenty on here complain about not being advised of something. virgin have at least said something in advance rather than having a sudden loss of service.

from the legally binding terms and conditions
'. In order to keep providing a great level of service, we may modify or temporarily suspend internet access, or part of it, to the extent necessary for us to carry out maintenance, technical repair, enhancement or emergency work. We will try to minimise the impact of this on your internet access, and we will restore internet access to you as soon as we can. Where possible, we will notify you if this occurs between the hours of 6am and midnight and is due to last for more than 1 hour'

and of course...virgin is a residential service. it isn't meant for use in business in anyway, aside from some home working. the terms and conditions state.
'...It must not be used for any activities not reasonably expected of someone using internet access for domestic purposes, for example whilst a reasonable amount of working from home is expected, your usage should be within what would be reasonably expected from a residential customer and we have no liability for any business losses you may suffer'.

is there an internet cafe nearby. could you use a friends connection.

Pft
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don't believe I said the Mediation meeting is a business meeting re Zoom just because it involves £.
This is connected to outage short time warning/s given for the same, without being able to talk to anyone at Virgin who can pick this up as a customers straightforward question as a consumer .
Imagine ten minutes into a meeting unable to ring anyone at Virgin?

Thanks for all your insightful replies to date. Here it sits.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

'I don't believe I said the Mediation meeting is a business meeting re Zoom just because it involves £'

either way, virgin are not liable the same as any other isp residential service. the business terms are much the same for other isp's too in that sometimes services have to go down for upgrades etc and the isp accepts no liability.

i wouldn't disagree with the issues in trying to contact virgin though.

i hope you are able to sort out your meeting and it goes well.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Here is my connection because i work from home and i'm on call a few times a week and need a connection. 

Not only do i have loads of data on my mobile i can teather to (personal and work)

I also have my home router set to failover mode. If the fixed-line fails the unlimited 4G sim takes over in less than 10 seconds.

I can maintain a 99.9% uptime with that. It also has battery backup for about 6 hours. 

DC POE UPS for the router-modem and wifi. 

IMG_20210427_193529_341.jpegIMG_20210427_193538_010.jpeg

Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 19.40.31.png

Richw1982
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What technology based company doesn't have outage time for system maintenance for upgrades and repairs.