aydeenyo
Tuning in

Can anyone direct me how to get this sorted please? Thank youVirgin Cables.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@aydeenyo wrote:

Yeah that's correct Tudor. House builders left it like that. Just trying to source a cover for it from VM hopefully. I would fit it myself if I could get something. Thanks anyway

Search on eBay/online for Virgin Media external boxes if you are just planning to DIY to tidy up the appearance (there are sometimes originals on sale or alternatives/copies). Alternatively just find a small external grade electrical box to cover the cable entry point. Probably quicker/easier than trying to explain to VM what you want.

Only problem you might have is how to fit the box over the cables now the cable is wired in through the wall if the cable can't be withdrawn easily.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Why worry?  The black cable is external grade, and is completely waterproof.  The section tacked to the wall is more vulnerable to damage than the length in conduit, even then it's normally good for thirty years plus unless accidentally damaged.  My setup is now 26 years old and has no visible damage or ageing on a long length of south facing wall.

If you really feel strongly about it, then you can buy the cable covers used by BT, as fitted next to the VM cable in your pic, and fit them yourself.  Might need to bodge the No. 4 connector to fit the VM conduit. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

aydeenyo
Tuning in

Just to clarify.....I would like a cover for the exposed Virgin Broadband cables on the right. The grey box contains the BT cables. I have tried phoning but no answer. Thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are thousands of cables like that, don’t expect VM to do anything about it. Looks to me to be installed when the property was built, not done by a usual VM team.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Yeah that's correct Tudor. House builders left it like that. Just trying to source a cover for it from VM hopefully. I would fit it myself if I could get something. Thanks anyway

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@aydeenyo wrote:

Search on eBay/online for Virgin Media external boxes if you are just planning to DIY to tidy up the appearance (there are sometimes originals on sale or alternatives/copies). Alternatively just find a small external grade electrical box to cover the cable entry point. Probably quicker/easier than trying to explain to VM what you want.

Only problem you might have is how to fit the box over the cables now the cable is wired in through the wall if the cable can't be withdrawn easily.

Thanks for that. I've just phoned Virgin and reported it. They said an engineer will be out in the morning. I'll update with the outcome.

Engineer informed me that they don't carry any types of box to cover the cables with. Looks like I will have to come up with a solution myself

Why worry?  The black cable is external grade, and is completely waterproof.  The section tacked to the wall is more vulnerable to damage than the length in conduit, even then it's normally good for thirty years plus unless accidentally damaged.  My setup is now 26 years old and has no visible damage or ageing on a long length of south facing wall.

If you really feel strongly about it, then you can buy the cable covers used by BT, as fitted next to the VM cable in your pic, and fit them yourself.  Might need to bodge the No. 4 connector to fit the VM conduit.