cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 365 and 2-step Authentication

glengarry
Joining in

A hacker has been able to access my MS Outlook 365 email account on my laptop and plant an item in my inbox. He knows my email address and has been able to find the correct Outlook 365 password. The item is not a normal email item. The VM mail server has no record of it. The item does not have the normal URL and sender identification so identification of the sender is not possible.

If I enable 2-factor authentication on my Microsoft 365 account, will this also automatically protect my Outlook 365 account, and will this help to prevent this hacker doing the same thing again. Changing the Outlook password is obviously not going to help. If it is not automatic, is there some other steps I have to take to make it so?

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you activate 2FA on your Outlook account, you are the only one that'll have access (assuming you set it up using a mobile number)

You could also use an authentication app (Microsoft and google both have a decent one)

If someone has access to your account email/password you'd be locked out already - it could be some sort a phishing scam so do a security check on your account just in case

Yes, I understand that. But my question was - if I set up 2FA on my Microsoft 365 account, does that also apply 2FA on my Outlook account automatically, or do I have to do something else to set this up. In addition, if I do manage to set up 2FA on my Outlook account, will this allow me to use Outlook as I do now, or will I have to login to Outlook each time I want to use it.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@glengarry wrote:

Yes, I understand that. But my question was - if I set up 2FA on my Microsoft 365 account, does that also apply 2FA on my Outlook account automatically, or do I have to do something else to set this up. In addition, if I do manage to set up 2FA on my Outlook account, will this allow me to use Outlook as I do now, or will I have to login to Outlook each time I want to use it.

You might get a better response if you posted this query on a Microsoft Outlook 365 support page.  

Your initial post was in the Virgin Media email board but as this does not relate to a virginmedia email address the thread has been moved here to the general tech area.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks