cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outbound traffic ports

alicol
Joining in

Hi all,

I hope you can help me - I'm not technically minded so any assistance would be gratefully received!

I'm having trouble with a hub for a cat flap (https://www.surepetcare.com/en-gb/internet-hub/hub) that plugs directly into my Virgin hub by ethernet cable, and allows me to connect to it by an app on my iphone. The new hub and app won't connect, and when I tried to troubleshoot I got the following message from the makers of the hub (Sureflap)...

Thank you for your email and video. Can we please ask you to check with your internet provider that there is no firewall restriction that are blocking the ports of your router and request to open the following outbound traffic ports: HTTPS – 443 and/or MQTTS – 8883?

Does anyone know the answer to this please?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Its likely a wireless problem get a better wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.” this is rubbish. The OP has said the device connects via Ethernet cable, not WiFi. 

The seller of the device does not understand networking. You cannot open outgoing ports, they are ALL automatically open. 443 is HTTPS and is used for web site access and is never blocked on the incoming ports.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Its likely a wireless problem get a better wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Its likely a wireless problem get a better wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.” this is rubbish. The OP has said the device connects via Ethernet cable, not WiFi. 

The seller of the device does not understand networking. You cannot open outgoing ports, they are ALL automatically open. 443 is HTTPS and is used for web site access and is never blocked on the incoming ports.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Still a new router will fix it with the hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

The Sureflap hub notifies the app on your phone via WiFi of any comings and goings through the cat flap. You've been given a load of nonsense about ports being blocked.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection