Menu
NickWba20
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Opinions on Gig 1

Upgraded to gig 1 today from 350 but I've just read a fair share of negativity about gig 1 and it's making me worried about what I may of put myself in for. One thing I'm reading quite regularly is ping/latency issues although with that being said people have said the hub 3 has issues and I've never had issues with ping on my hub 3. My hub 4 should be arriving on Wednesday at some point so I suppose time will tell but I just want to get peoples impressions. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Opinions on Gig 1

Some comments that may help, but don't offer any experience of the Hub 4.

1) The Hub 3 originally had severe latency issues due to a chipset flaw that was later fixed by a firmware update and that was rolled out to all Hub 3s about two years ago.  So there's no particular problem with latency of the Hub 3.

2) Due to the nature of the DOCSIS technology that cable relies on, a cable connection will always have a worse latency performance than an Openreach VDSL line.  This difference is small (typically about +5ms on top of Openreach average latency), but on DOCSIS that is then overlaid with continuous small latency peaks out to +30ms.  DOCSIS' radio frequency technology is also a lot more flakey than VDSL or true FTTP, and when there are problems, it often affects latency even further.  To be clear, cable usually works and can be fine for gaming.  But it isn't where you'd go first for gaming if that's important to you.  I monitor connection quality of my 200 Mbps VM line, and that of an elderly relative's £30 a month, 35 Mbps Openreach connection, and the Openreach connection always has clean, reliable low latency with minimal spiking.  If you're a really serious, exceptionally good gamer, this may matter.  If (like me) you're a mediocre gamer, then the difference is going to be the least of your problems!

3) You've committed to higher speed but why?  Not a question I need to know the answer to, but streaming 4K is the single highest use most people could have for bandwidth, and that uses "only" 25 Mbps.  HD streaming is 5 Mbps, videoconferencing on most decent clients is about 2.5 Mbps max, gaming is about the same downstream.  The higher bandwidth of a Gig1 connection won't come with better gaming or streaming performance.  A few people have upgraded in the hope of fixing a cable quality or service problem - sadly it doesn't work like that, if anything the Hub 4 will be more finicky about line quality in order to do its high speed "party trick" of much higher frequency modulation.  

4) There have been rather too many complex, difficult to resolve problems reported here on the Hub 4 for my liking.  Not everybody's unhappy by a long chalk, but it looks like the usual story of a complex product with teething problems, made much, much worse by VM's appalling first line technical support.  The makers (Arris) know what they're doing, the teething problems will get ironed out, but by the time they've identified, fixed, tested and deployed the firmware, it could be like the Hub 3 fix, two to three years after it became public knowledge. 

5) Wireless is not materially better on the Hub 4.  It only supports the old 802.11ac standard, rather than the best current option, 802.11ax (Wifi 6).  Apparently the Hub 4 has 11 internal aerials compared to 9 (I think) on the Hub 3, but it is still a mediocre wireless device, built down to a price.  In my opinion, if you need and want 1 Gbps, then unless that's solely for etherent connected devices, you also need to accept that you have to put the Hub 4 in modem mode and buy a really good router or high end mesh system that supports Wifi 6 - which means an outlay in the region of £200-300.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
NickWba20
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Long story short I want to download my games even faster and not to mention virgin think there may be a problem with my hub 3 because yesterday around 1 in the afternoon it dropped as low as 80 and for the last month as soon as half 4 hits my speeds drop as low as 44 meaning I'm downloading 4mb per second it's the equivalent of being back with sky when those times strike. I've read a fair bit about latency with the hub 4 now I know for every annoyed hub 4 user there's a happy one but I've also read that some users aren't even getting great upgrades on the 350 they are only getting around 400 from the hub 4 and that's not worth the 22 pound upgrade a month. Truth be told I'm starting to regret my decision now. I've just put Star wars Battlefront 2 in download on my ps4 which is a 115gb game and it's going to be completed in 43 minutes according to this. I have to ask myself will gig1 be much quicker than that because that is very very fast

0 Kudos
NickWba20
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I should point out that there will be 3 ethernets in use (2 ps4s and 1 Nintendo switch) we only attach 2 phones and my sons tablet to the WiFi and we live in a small house so that shouldn't be an issue we have had no issues with the hub 3 with our phones etc and the consoles have been steady on ethernet I get say 20-30 ping on fortnite 42 ping on overwatch 20 ping on apex so no lag here but hoping that doesn't change with the hub 4 because otherwise I'll go back to the hub 3 and back on 350mb

0 Kudos