Menu
michaellambert
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New provider

Hi

Anyone recommend an alternative provider to Virgin? I have been with them for twenty years but am now paying  a huge loyalty penalty. I see I can save about 50% if I switch but not sure where to go.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New provider

One thing I'd do is to find out which LLU operators have their kit inside or near my BT exchange. In my case it's Sky, TalkTalk and Vodafone.

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LWNOR 

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
michaellambert
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Personally I'd investigate smaller, customer service focused ISPs like Zen Internet, AAISP, Aquiss, IDnet.  You'll pay a few more quid than the cheapest offer from the large ISPs, but in my view that's well worth it when things go wrong.  And I'll personally vouch for Zen Internet, having dealt with them repeatedly on behalf of elderly relatives.

There is a widespread perception that because Openreach provide the physical connection there's nothing to choose between providers, but that's rubbish - when things are working, yes, when they aren't there's a huge difference between ISPs in their ability to get faults properly resolved.

But before signing with anybody, check their feedback on Trustpilot, and compare that to Virgin Media's rating so that you have a benchmark.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Talk Talk, they are good for you.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I would take Trust pilot ratings with a large pinch is salt.  Disgruntled customers are much more likely to post reviews than the majority of happy customers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

michaellambert
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much fir this. I will check them out at once

0 Kudos