Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New cable for superhub, buy or request?

So nothing is wrong with the cable for the superhub, the one which recieves the internet, coax I believe?

However, when I originally moved into my flat, where the router needed to go was quite far away from where the box was, so for this reason the engineer fitted a very very long cable, great guy, even stapled it to my walls for me.

However, 5 years later I have changed my flat a fair bit and would like a shorter cable so I can move it closer to where the wall connection is.

I'm not alien to tech so fine to replace myself, but wasnt sure if its wise to replace the cable myself?
Or if its something I can request a replacement for free maybe?  I know different lengths can sometimes cause issues, so I want to avoid getting anything too short.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New cable for superhub, buy or request?

No do not replace it yourself - 3d party cable can lead to all sorts of issues - as I discovered for myself ! It is also against the T&C's of your contract!
If you are want a shorter cable then it may well need the Tech to rebalance your power levels - there is a £99 no fault call out charge for that.
However you might think of ways that you can get it done without incurring a charge 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Hero
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If a 3m cable is suitable then VM can send one to you.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If it is practical, there's another option: What you could consider would be to disconnect the cable at bother ends, CAREFULLY remove the cable clips, because any kinks or physical damage to the cable can impair your signal, then neatly coil the excess length to a radius of a large dinner plate, tie it with a cable tie or a bit of string, hide the coil behind a bit of furniture, and then reconnect at both ends.  That way you're fully compliant with VM's T&C, you're not disturbing the existing connection, you don't have to pay a hundred odd quid, nor take a day off work.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks