forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
mcscrc
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New V6 Box Working Ok - Old Tivo Box Now Steady Blue & Flashing Red - Always Starting Up

Hi,

I have just self installed a new V6 box and it is working OK. I was planning to use the old Tivo box in a separate room (connected to the home network) to stream the old remaining recordings. Unfortunately as soon as I turn the old box on I get a continuous Starting Up message combined with a continuous blue and flashing red LED. This is repeated every time I reboot / power cycle the old Tivo.

Can anybody help.

0 Kudos
andyfoxccp
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New V6 Box Working Ok - Old Tivo Box Now Steady Blue & Flashing Red - Always Starting Up

As I understand this is normal behaviour for a old box that has become deactivated. To stop people accessing the services without a valid subscription.

Annoying as there is no way to migrate the recordings from the old box to the new , it would be good if they could have a way to allow customers to use the old box in the manner you have mentioned or provide a migration path.

Andy

0 Kudos
mcscrc
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New V6 Box Working Ok - Old Tivo Box Now Steady Blue & Flashing Red - Always Starting Up

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your prompt response, I was afraid that was the case but having read several different posts I was under the impression that you could still use the old box. I should have realised that you do not get something for nothing. Have you any idea if you can still use the old box if you pay an additional subscription. 

Thanks again. 

Mike.

0 Kudos
andyfoxccp
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I was in similar situation and there was no option for me to pay to retain the use of the box for any period of time.

I think it depends if you manage to get the old box off the network before it gets the decom message, and can keep it from getting that message once restarted. Certainly I was under the impression from similar posts that it was possible but was in same position as you when I came to use to catchup.

Fortunately most were available via catchup services so little was lost.

Andy

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Now that VM no longer use viewing cards the boxes “call in” to the account system every time they reboot to see if there is a valid subscription. If the box is disconnected from the coax network this cannot happen, & if you had a box replacement without requesting a temporary extension to the old box “calling in” would disable it anyway.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Some people have reported being able to access their box for a considerable amount of time after leaving VM. In you case, however, you have a replacement box which, on activation, would have registered it to your account. As your account says that you are entitled to only one box the old box would have been deactivated.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
mcscrc
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all your help, it all makes sense now (much more useful that someone at the end of a phone reading a pre prepared script). Unfortunately it looks like I will have to say bye bye to all my old recordings (they will be soon back around again). Still cant see why they just do not let you watch your recordings only off another box in a separate room. Anyway thanks again.

Mike.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@mcscrc wrote:

Still cant see why they just do not let you watch your recordings only off another box in a separate room. Anyway thanks again.

Mike.

The box you have is no longer on your account & you are not paying for it. Due to the way the TV agreements work between VM & the broadcasters when you cease to pay for the box you lose the rights to view the recordings on it.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos