Menu
louij2
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 37
Flag for a moderator

New Gig1 Service Upstream Speeds are still poor

Hello all..,

I hope that you can  all agree with me that VirginMedia releasing their Gig1 service is a total marketing and PR campaign to make themselves look like the first to do it. I am currently on the 350mbps package and Gig1 is 1100mbps, so that's over 210% increase. However look at the Upload speeds?!?!?! 20mbps up to 53mbps thats only a 165% increase in speeds!!! and no where near a gigabit...so we can clearly see that they have compromised on upload speeds in order to "Be the first" As due to the docsis cable limitations they would probably only be able to achieve 500mbpsUP/DOWN.

Can someone from Virgin explain to me why they fail to address this issue of upload speeds for the customer time and time again. I'd happily trade gigabit speeds in order to have better upload as most WiFi devices can't even saturate the 1Gbps downstream....

0 Kudos
louij2
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Gig1 Service Upstream Speeds are still poor

Surely this is due to the lack of competition
ToffeeSurprise
Superfast
Message 3 of 37
Flag for a moderator

I'm a bit mystified. They've had to upgrade to DOCSIS 3.1 for 1gbps downstream so the kit has to support 3.1. The backhaul connections to the headend will be symmetrical so if they can support downstream speeds there's easily backhaul for upstream.

Even if they decide to limit upstream because they can, why not run it over 3.1? They've already reconfigured the kit and rolled out a new CPE, so it would likely require a couple of lines of config change.

louij2
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 37
Flag for a moderator

They probably want you to pay extra for a dedicated line and due to the lack of competition in the markets (Thanks Openreach...) Virgin can claim all they do.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 5 of 37
Flag for a moderator

it would depend whether virgin use "DOCSIS 3.1" or "DOCSIS 3.1 Full Duplex" (which in reality is DOSCSIS 4.0)

DOCSIS 3.1 is capable 10 Gbit/s downstream and 1 Gbit/s upstream using 4096 QAM, so it is not a symmetrical service.
the new Gig1 package could have been pushed out over DOCSIS 3.0 as it is technically capable at the current down/up ratio.

1.0199740 Mbit/s10 Mbit/sInitial release
1.1200140 Mbit/s10 Mbit/sAdded VOIP capabilities, standardized the DOCSIS 1.0 QoS mechanisms
2.0200240 Mbit/s30 Mbit/sEnhanced upstream data rates
3.020061.2 Gbit/s200 Mbit/sSignificantly increased downstream/upstream data rates, introduced support for IPv6, introduced channel bonding
3.1201310 Gbit/s1–2 Gbit/sSignificantly increased downstream/upstream data rates, restructured channel specifications
4.0201710 Gbit/s10 Gbit/sIntroduces support for fully symmetrical speeds

louij2
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Surely the cables they are using are just normal Coax? As they haven't changed anything to our house since they took over from Telewest in 2007
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 7 of 37
Flag for a moderator

properties supplied via coax are fibre to the cabinet, then coax from the cabinet to the house.
the short run of coax is more than capable.
newer installs are fibre straight to the property.

regardless, it's the backend infrastructre that needs to support the new technology.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 8 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Bear in mind a couple of things.

1. The existing cabling can easily handle greater speeds.

2. The existing network still bears the signs of the history of Virgin Media, consisting of several hundred rollouts by many predecessor cable companies with varying budgets and working practices. Even after 12 years of being in business since February 2007 VM still has a network which cannot provide the same service to all, look no further than the inability to deliver 350Mbps download let alone 500Mbps across the UK. Although there are new areas with 5-85MHz upstream capacity there are some I believe with only 5-42MHz and investment will be needed to bring these up to requirement.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
louij2
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 37
Flag for a moderator

I am able to get a good service to my home, granted I am in Greater London but surely they are going to offer multiple packages up to 1Gbps, as knowing their business tactics of stringing you along with the same speeds so they can make as much money off you and jumping from 350Mbps?

If they are able to get 1Gbps to some homes surely you could trade downstream for upstream..?

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@louij2 wrote:

I am able to get a good service to my home, granted I am in Greater London but surely they are going to offer multiple packages up to 1Gbps, as knowing their business tactics of stringing you along with the same speeds so they can make as much money off you and jumping from 350Mbps?

If they are able to get 1Gbps to some homes surely you could trade downstream for upstream..?

It's not as easy as it sounds. The upstream and downstream frequencies are different and they can't use downstream frequencies for upstream. DOCSIS 3.1 adds a bit more upstream spectrum but downstream still has by far the most bandwidth.

569-docsis31-band-extension.png