Menu
LisaNorm
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New Driveway

Hi. I am midway through a block paved driveway being done and the guy damaged the cable, I have no internet (Thursday 4 Feb). Engineer is coming Saturday 6th in afternoon but these guys are booked and need to complete the drive. What do we do with the cable? Leave it out the ground? I don’t want my drive dug up once it’s laid, will they run the cable elsewhere? 

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Driveway

Hi Lisa,

Number one advice is do not repair and rebury the cable yourself. We see this a lot and it will fail within weeks, moisture will enter the joint and the cable will fail.

We can do two things.

1. We can joint the cable correctly and bury the joint leaving you to finish that portion of the drive. 2. we can replace the whole cable but this wont be done on saturday as it requires a second job to be booked at a later date.

The second option is preferable as joints do fail over time and as you say you do not want the drive dug up again which will need to be done when it does fail.

My advice is to ask the people doing the work to leave a foot wide strip of blocks out between the point the cables enters your garden to the brown box on your wall and ask them to return once your cable is replaced to complete the work.

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
LisaNorm
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jon what a pain! Is there anyway I can book that job ASAP? Or just see what Saturday brings? He was meant to finish Saturday.....

0 Kudos
LisaNorm
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Also Jon my 14 year old needs internet to remote learn, we can’t wait weeks with no internet....can you fast track this somehow please? Plea from a desperate mum trying to run a business as well! Thanks for your help so far!

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa,

As you can imagine with everyone working from home rtight now we are EXTREMELY busy so its unlikely you will be able to get an earlier appointment however the technician will be able to get you up and running on saturday regardless of the long term fix. He/She will make a temporary repair to restore service. The full cable replacement may take a week or possibly two.

Please PM me your full address and i will take a look if there is anything that can be done. No promises though.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos