Menu
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Netflix still only 7 Mbps on 4k on Virgin

I've read that netflix is increasing bit rates, but checking today it's still throttled on my VM connection.  

Given VM has the fastest speeds, and most netflix content on VM is served by CDNs in VM data centres, can VM please explain why there are still streaming restrictions

https://thenextweb.com/apps/2020/05/15/netflix-4k-coronavirus/ 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix still only 7 Mbps on 4k on Virgin

Virgin don’t throttle connections.

They’re  not the ones limiting bandwidth.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As stated in the article you posted the link to:

"So far, the change has been noticed in Denmark, Norway, and Germany, but it appears Netflix is opting for a gradual rollout. “Please note, we are working with ISPs to help increase capacity,” Netflix said in a statement. “In the last month alone we have added four times the normal capacity. As conditions improve we will lift these limitations.”"

So until Netflix decide to include the UK in this rollout there is nothing VM can do, regardless of speed. I believe the countries listed have eased lockdown measures more than the UK has so far so maybe that is driving the rollout of the change in each country.

It is unlikely staff will comment publicly on any ongoing discussions with Netflix as they will almost certainly be classed as commercially sensitive information.

Netflix are the ones in control of this so you would be better asking them when the change will happen in the UK.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The discussions would only be sensitive if VM don't have the bandwidth.

Assuming they do have the bandwidth then VM missed an opportunity to be the UK network that didn't throttle streaming speeds during lockdown - most netflix content is served from VM data centres and usually refreshed once a day

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Netflix uses caching services. they only cache some content. Normally new releases and most watched.
The local cache servers do not contain everything.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Assuming something in the netflix top 10 is cached on an open connect embedded deployment inside VMs own network, then that's my question. Why are they still streamed half speed at 7.62 Mbps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

All major ISPs run Netflix cache servers now but there is still a risk the the path between you and the Netflix server embedded in the ISP network could become congested, although I think the stream reductions were rather overcautious.

BTW there is some info about how the cache system works at https://openconnect.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035618071-Fill-patterns

0 Kudos