Menu
Debbied30
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

NO SERVICES AT ALL!!!!!

Woke up to no WIFI, no TV, no Landline. Heard drilling just up the Close, went and asked the workmen, are you doing Virgin work, he said yes sorry, but we’ve just cut the main cable!!!!! So that has wiped out everyone from 22-30. I said how long for a fix, he said who knows long time. Cue Virgin van lots of men in orange hi viz suits walking up and down, more drilling, seems they dug it up looked and then filled it again and just went!!! So I rang up VM got an operator who actually said to me let’s try booting up the router’ I said they’ve severed the cable, okay he said ‘let’s get an engineer booked’  again I said they’ve severed the cable. Let me talk to a supervisor as nothing wrong is showing on our system. Came back nothing told me to ring in 6 hours!!!!! The cable is severed what am I paying £110 a month for. I am wfh, my son has college work to do, my husband work stuff. This really isn’t good enough. Then we talked to a neighbour who said they told him next Monday, as they have to dig up most of the road!!!! AARGH!!!!!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: NO SERVICES AT ALL!!!!!

Not much you/they can do as I assume they'll have to get permission to dig up more of the road than originally intended.

0 Kudos
Debbied30
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Carl, the pavement bit they originally dug was about 3ft wide by 1ft deep. They couldn’t even manage to avoid the bloody main cable fgs! 

Just come off another call which I waited an hour for. Same story nothing reported on the system. I asked for a supervisor number and name or someone in network, none to be given. Why is that? Anyways engineer booked for Thursday, he’s not going to do anything now is he? If in meantime someone owns up and it goes on the system, he gets cancelled. Meanwhile we are all working from home or not should I say. My work will be so pleased 😞

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

you won't be ablt to talk to many people but first line.

Companies do not let customer talk to 2nd/3rd line/engineers etc for a reason.

A good reason as well 🙂 I love being a 3rd line engineer. No angry customers and i can get on with my job:)
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I suggest that you buy a MiFi router and a 4G data-only SIM card on a 1-month plan so that you can get a WiFi hotsport from a mobile network. You should be able to find something suitable in a Currys store.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Debbied30
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wow Roger that’s super technical thanks. Not sure why I should pay out anymore than I should.

My work has suggested I take unpaid leave - thanks Virgin 🤬

0 Kudos
Debbied30
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Not sure that’s particularly good tbh, wouldn’t happen where I work, if people are paid to take flak, they should be there to do so! 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

that's the point they are not paid to. they are paid to do non-customer facing jobs.
that is what first line is for. To filter and deal with the customer
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

A "main cable" will serve the whole street, not part of it. The main cable is also carried in a seperate duct directly below the distribution duct that serves individual houses. So what has happened is the distribution duct serving part of the street is the issue. There are individual cables going to each house in this duct from the cabinet. These will all need re-pulling & then reconnecting across customers gardens/driveways to their houses. When you consider an individual cable pull is a 2+ hours job with a dedicated 2 man team you are talking some considerable work here. These teams are busy at the best of times.

The contractors have probably just repaired the duct to stop any snagging when the cables are repulled.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Debbied30 wrote:

Wow Roger that’s super technical thanks. Not sure why I should pay out anymore than I should.

My work has suggested I take unpaid leave - thanks Virgin 🤬

your work can't force you to take unpaid leave.
they either have to let you work at your normal place of work (ie office) or provide you with a means to connect to the internet elsewhere.

however if you rely on internet for work purposes then you should always have a backup plan. virgin media residential does not provide business level SLAs to guarantee service.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos