Menu
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

My ip Address has changed after many years!

I looked at my BQM today and was surprised to see a wall of red from ~10.00 yesterday.  Everything is fine in all previous BQM's - and been so for many years up to then.  We have had absolutely no connection issues in the last day or so and changed no equipment either (modem mode + Airport Extreme router).

So I did an i.p. look up to see that mine was now one in the 82. range, having been one within the 81. range since the year dot.  I edited the BQM settings with the "new" i.p. address and it is now starting to build up again 👍

So all is fine... but I am just intrigued as to why this might have happened for the first time in my living memory.   Any thoughts folks as to why it has suddenly changed?

Cheers John

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: My ip Address has changed after many years!

interesting

looking at my records for ip address it can change even in modem mode

I used to use a tp link in modem mode and have two ip addresses noted with the same router. 

in normal mode the hub my ip address has changed 5 times, usually when router/hub is changed/upgraded or if vm technicians swop the wiring in outside box.

Also switching between modem mode and normal mode for more than about  3 days can change the hub3 ip address

I may well be virgin that have changed something rather than your own equipment

the bqm looks interesting may give it a try

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Yep... standard way to change your ip address is to switch from normal to modem mode. But if/when you go back, nearly always do you get the "old" ip address back - sticky as a sticky thing.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

check the ip address is not blacklisted and geolocation is correct on ip tracker and check with fsecure router check

Once virgin changed my ip address in the outside box swopped wiring and the ip address was a  bad one with lots of hacking attempts as if it had a bad history. I was swopped with another customer- they called at my house, something to do with voltages and connections in the box outside. Long time ago, present ip adress has been fixed for 2 years since hub3 installed.

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Network re-segmentation probably. They do it from time to time (not very often though), you've been moved (logically not physically) to a different subnet usually to better load-balance the system.

Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

You really need to monitor your IP address, John was lucky because the BQM went all red, no connection, but the IP address could have been assigned to someone else and the BQM graph would look ok. Unfortunately, you could go on for sometime looking at someone else’s connection!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

ours changed too yesterday. internet was up and down for around 8 hours beforehand. when i phoned 150 the recorded message said virgin were doing upgrades in our area. a young gaming relative who lives nearby said his ip address had changed too. 

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

IP ADDRESS CHANGED

got a shock this morning, noticed my ip addess has changed recently

the new address checks out correct for my area 30 but not sure why it has changed.

checked for blacklist on mxtoolbox and this has 3 entries

sorbs duhl    (existed on previous ip address)

spamhaus zen    (existed on previous ip address)

barracuda-   new addition this is connected with spam and required manual de-listing

Why have virgin swopped my ip address to one that has a barracuda blacklisting and will this cause any problems with my email services virgin and other email services, I see others have been switched looking at posts, mine has been switched before. One would think virgin would ensure that ip address switch is not resulting in dishing out ip addresses that have spam black-listings.

The ip address must have had a previous owner to have the barracuda blacklist, and therefor the history is unknown.

Alf28

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

your IP is dynamic. It can change at any time.
0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

understood, they rarely change, even though dynamic, but still puzzled by the barracuda spam listing and any implications, as it can not be removed easily, I do not send spam so may be ok but who is responsible for these blacklistings, myself or virgin, so I have been given some one else's ip with a blacklist, not nice.!!!

ALF28

0 Kudos