Menu
Graymo
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Multiple fibre cables to property

Hi all,

I've recently moved into a new property which previously had virgin fibre installed. I've continued with virgin but I had a question about the wiring.

• There appears to be two fibre cables running from the external box- one straight through the wall to the downstairs sitting room and the other up the side of the house to a top bedroom. The previous owner had their virgin router connected in the top room but I've connected mine downstairs in the sitting room.

Unfortunately, with the router connected downstairs, the WiFi signal at the top of the house is really poor. I wondered whether I could connect a router to both the fibre connections in the living room and the top of the house to increase the coverage, or whether these are likely to be separate fibre lines.

If I can connect routers to the top at bottom of the property, presumably I'd have to give them the same SSID and wpa2 password so that they acted as a single router?

You can probably tell I've very limited knowledge so I'd be really grateful for any advice.

Thanks very much in advance.

Nick

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Multiple fibre cables to property

There is just a single cable to the house which was split, one leg going upstairs and one leg to the sitting room. You cannot connect a second hub to the other cable but the best solution is to run an Ethernet cable from the hub to the top bedroom and connect a wireless access point to it. The Ethernet cable can be run either internally or externally and I suggest you contract an electrician or suitably-qualified person to do this job.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You cannot have two VM hubs on one account the only way would be if you payed for two accounts and I don’t expect you want this. So the beast solution is as advised, a Wireless Access Point and possibly a network switch Ethernet cabled back to your VM hub. You would need the network switch if you want to use wired devices upstairs.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Graymo
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos