Menu
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

More joy of windows 10

So it seems MS changed how loopback works with programs VS how win XP and 7 do it.

So if you have a program that listens on 0.0.0.0 then using 127.0.0.1 to connect to the program don't work unless the program listens on 127.0.0.1.

WHY MS WHY😭

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: More joy of windows 10

Are there any upsides to Win 10 over Win 7?  I have yet to find a compelling reason to upgrade.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

One reason to change from Windows 7 is that from 14th Jan 2020 there will no longer be any updates including security updates for Windows 7 (so potential for security breeches) and no further support.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

One reason to change from Windows 7 is that from 14th Jan 2020 there will no longer be any updates including security updates for Windows 7 (so potential for security breeches) and no further support.

That is the only reason.

Win 7 was easy everything in its place like take that network icon in the system tray you left click on it and click “Open network and sharing center” in win 10 its “network & internet settings” that brings up a haft assed useless UI that you have to click “Ethernet” then “network and sharing center”.

and they are stopping windows media center updates. 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

Hi Mike

I was aware of this and that is a reason to stop using Win 7, but not a reason to upgrade to Win 10 (sorry for being pedantic).  If there is nothing good about 10, and all that I am reading suggests this is the case, then I'll probably move to Linux.  I just can't decide which flavour of Linux at the moment.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I know the feeling, myself although have Windows 10 on a PC also run Ubuntu in virtual machines, allow me to have the best of both worlds. 

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

With Host files, ever-increasing in size 127.0.0.1 was found to be slowing down browsers, so some years ago they switched over to 0.0.0.0 as this sped up the working of browsers.  I remember switching over to 0.0.0.0 years ago when Windows 7 was my main platform and I was using mvps as my Hosts file.  I still use mvps as a part of my security set-up now that I'm on Windows 10 platform.

You can use a modified HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers and possibly unwanted programs. This is accomplished by blocking the connection(s) that supplies these little gems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

127.0.0.1 is the loopback address so any traffic sent to it basically gets processed by the same interface - actually 127.x.y.z does the same thing, the entire 127.0.0.0/8 subnet is reserved for loopback testing

0.0.0.0 is a wildcard or unspecified address and it has a different uses depending on what device you are using, try pinging that address on a PC and you'll probably get a 'General Failure' message as that address doesn't mean anything. On a router or firewall it's often used in routing tables to specify where traffic should be sent if there are no other more specific routes defined.

You shouldn't be listening on that address precisely because it's undefined.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@jem101 wrote:

127.0.0.1 is the loopback address so any traffic sent to it basically gets processed by the same interface - actually 127.x.y.z does the same thing, the entire 127.0.0.0/8 subnet is reserved for loopback testing

0.0.0.0 is a wildcard or unspecified address and it has a different uses depending on what device you are using, try pinging that address on a PC and you'll probably get a 'General Failure' message as that address doesn't mean anything. On a router or firewall it's often used in routing tables to specify where traffic should be sent if there are no other more specific routes defined.

You shouldn't be listening on that address precisely because it's undefined.

Yes, but in firefox Browser or Opera it avoids going to the site when it is a Host designate just the same display as for 127.0.0.1 which shows the same, 'Unable to connect' display.

unable to connect.jpg

On Opera

Opera.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I only stopped using XP/Mint in 2017 (3 years after official support ended; it was said that Google and some anti-virus vendors were supporting XP unofficially) as the integrated graphics had packed up.  I had it set up to dual boot into Mint with XFCE as the desktop (the lack of OS bureaucracy/bloat was refreshing to see).  If the graphics hadn't packed up, I'd still be using it.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos