Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 1
Flag for a moderator

Malware warning via email

Hi,

I've received an email from internet-security@virginmedia.com with a warning about a device on my home network potentially having malware:

"Our reference: VMIS5-MALWARE-F008407148"

"To protect our customers, we work with a number of not-for-profit organisations that gather information about internet connections that appear to be at risk of things like malware infections. On 11 September 2020, one detected that gumblar , a piece of malware, was present on a device using your internet connection."

To my understanding Gumblar is a trojan from 2009 which targets devices with older Windows OSs, i.e. pre-Windows 7. None of the devices on my network have these OSs, however despite this I have run checks on all Windows devices using both antivirus software and Malwarebytes, and all came up negative for Gumblar.

Is this email legitimate, and if so, could it be a false positive given that multiple anti-malware scans have turned up nothing? Could my works VPN have anything to do with it since those have been known to trigger false positives?

Cheers,

Concrete

Tags (1)
0 Kudos