Menu
djturner01
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Limitations on re-siting cable entry from street to property ?

H-, I hope this is the right board for a question regarding moving the entry point of the cable from street into our property.

Currently our cable pops out from the pavement and is taken straight through a stone wall into our property, where it is then submerged under the garden up to the house. We plan to shorten this wall and add an access with gate, and typically the cable is slap bang where we need our new gate. I estimate needing the cable to come through no more than 6ft away from current position, and due to laying of foundation for a path, and a barely submerged cable, we will likely to relay part of the run across the garden.

Reading forums it appears that I can arrange for an engineer at a cost of £99. I am wondering if anyone has experience of using this service, were there any difficulties encountered, and unforeseen additional costs. I fear this will not be simple, if even possible, and could escalate in cost.

- There will be no wall, only a gate, where the cable currently protrudes from the street, so it is not possible to run the cable along in conduit to be new wall entry. Can the street position be altered by a virgin media engineer? I fear any work that impacts the pavement itself would require council involvement. Any restriction on distance the entry from street can be relocated, is 6ft likely to be an issue?

- I am assuming that if I want the cable position moving inside of our property I would need to prepare by digging out a new channel for it myself. Is there a required/recommended depth?

Regards,
David.

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Limitations on re-siting cable entry from street to property ?

Hi djturner01,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community. with regards to the relocation of the outside cable we would need to book an engineer visit to see if it is possible to do. 

As it may not be as straight forward as a normal re-location of the cable we cannot advise what would be required until our technician takes a look.

I am going to send you a private message so we can look in to this further for you. Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi

iffy49
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have a similar problem.  The cable now comes out about 2ft from the side of my property, it was previously against a wall.  But the wall has become increasingly damaged so I have removed it.  How do I book an engineer to come and take a look and advise?  

Many thanks

Ian

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@iffy49 wrote:

Hi,

I have a similar problem.  The cable now comes out about 2ft from the side of my property, it was previously against a wall.  But the wall has become increasingly damaged so I have removed it.  How do I book an engineer to come and take a look and advise?  

Many thanks

Ian

Any non-fault related callout is £99, no matter what work is carried out. So I would decide what you want doing & then call them out.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
iffy49
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi nodrogd,

Looking at similar posts, it would seem that there may be a conflict between VM and my local council,.as the cable appears on the border between my property and the pavement.    Also, whilst the system is not faulty at the moment, if the cable remains where it is, then it will get run over, and most likely become faulty.  Thought it would be better to address the issue before that happens. 

I managed to contact VM Customer Service yesterday, and they are are sending an engineer next week to take a look, there was no mention of any charge. 

I'll keep the community posted with any updates.

Thanks for your help.

Ian

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If they need to do any digging on council pavements it will require a permit, which is a lengthy process, but hopefully it won't come to that

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos