Menu
Ellibear
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

LG magic remote v TiVo box

Hi there, hope someone can help me. Bought a new LG tv which comes with a magic remote. It works fine with the tv, but refuses to sync with my TiVo box. I cannot see the TV guide and my planner unless I use my old Virgin remote. I have phoned Virgin, who as usual were most unhelpful, and the only answer I got was that it is impossible to sync the two, as they do not support the technology! 

Is this correct? I he the TiVo 500GB box. I asked about a V6 box, but they said I can't have one and that wouldn't work either! 

Many thanks

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: LG magic remote v TiVo box

TiVO boxes operate on RF radio & not Infra red.

This allows the units to be hidden away in cabinets & the remote will still work. It will even work from another room if you have a second TV plugged in to the box.

There is a way to switch the units to IR but the range is a lot poorer & you would lose most of the functionality the TiVO has on a uni remote. Even more so with a V6.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ellibear
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ah I see, thank you for explaining that to me. So basically I will have to continue to use two remotes?

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The Virgin Tivo and V6 remotes can operate the volume and power on/off of most TVs. I only use the LG remote if I want to access the LG smart features. The Tivo control was infra red only, the V6 remote has rf and infra red. Not tried to use the ? LG control to control the V6.

My Samsung remote and V6 remote can both control the V6, but only the Samsung remote can access the TV smart features.

My experience is with old fashioned TV remotes as I am not a fan of the magic type of remote.

I no longer have an old style Tivo as it was mind numbingly slow. You have to have Virgin broadband to have a V6, I think with a minimum speed of 100M?
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you upgrade to the V6 you get apps like YouTube and BBC iPlayer which actually load and run properly plus Amazon Prime Video. With the V6 remote paired to the LG would you still need to use the magic remote?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
RS87
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Necro post I know but I come across this because of my issue which I eventually resolved myself:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/LG-Magic-Remote-V6-Pairing-SUCCESS/m-p/4387398#M77...

This may help the OP.

0 Kudos
tag1000
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, this video has info on how to connect the Virgin V6 and the LG Magic remote..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atqIvFYCmlY

0 Kudos