cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAN not connecting

Cocobroon
Joining in

I recently changed broadband provider from Sky to Virgin (hub 5).  I have a TP link power line adapter connected to my Ps5 and since the day I changed to Virgin the Ps5 constantly connects then disconnects.  This never happened before with either Sky nor BT.  The WiFi works fine but I'd prefer to use the LAN.  I know that my power line adapter and Ethernet cables can handle the speed.  I'm not that clued up in this stuff but I'd like to know why it's not working?

6 REPLIES 6

carl_pearce
Community elder

Try a full reset of the powerline adapters.

You didn't set a static IP on the PS5 when you used Sky?

Are you using one of the 1GbE ports, or the 2.5GbE port on the HUB to connect the powerline adapter?

I've done a reset and re-pairing of the powerline adapter and I have changed the port from one on the1GbE ones to the 2.5GbE one, I've also cleared the cache on my ps5 but the LAN connection still constantly connects then disconnects. I've never set a static IP address on Sky (wouldn't know how to do that).

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is it just the PS5 disconnecting?  Do any other devices disconnect?  It would be worth while getting a long Cat 6 ethernet cable to test a direct connection.  That would rule out the PLA's.  It's a handy thing to have in any case. Also can you borrow an unmanaged switch and put that in between the Hub 5 and the first PLA, in case the switch in the Hub and the PLA don't play well together?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

OK so I tried my laptop in the LAN connection from the PLA and it also constantly connected and disconnected, I then tried the laptop with ethernet directly from the hub and it connected perfectly.  So it looks like it's something to do with PLA but not sure.

carl_pearce
Community elder

I've read of at least one other instance of compatibility issues when connecting PLA to the HUB 5, specifically.

Not sure if there was a resolution.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Maybe a 4 port unmanaged switch between the Hub and PLA for testing?  It could be as @carl_pearce has said, an incompatibility between the port switches.  If it works with the additional switch, it could be a solution?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks