cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this an HDD uptime record ?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just had the last original HDD fail in my old 4 bay NAS.   It had been spinning for just over 12 years, so to me that's a fairly long time.  I took the lid of to see what failed and it was the head actuator was completely stuck against the centre spindle. 

The drive was a 1 TB Samsung, with a manufacturing date of 2009 in case anyone is interested.   🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That’s very gooood. What RPM is it? Being a NAS I expect you never turned it off.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes I was very surprised at the longevity as well.  The NAS is very rarely off and the other 3 disks, all the same when built, failed at various times. They are now all replaced. They were all 5400 rpm and it all just plodded along.  Two are mirrored and the other two are just single volumes.  The last failed drive was one of the mirrored raid. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks