Menu
Dawniemoon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Is it easy to swap a TiVo box over with a V6 box?

Can anyone tell me if it’s easy to swap a TiVo box over with a V6 box in another room?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is it easy to swap a TiVo box over with a V6 box?

No, because the V6 will need a coaxial cable - just like the TiVo. The V6 will need a separate connection to the hub - unlike the TiVo - which many people find difficult if the V6 isn't next to the hub.

And VM isn't doing unnecessary jobs these days, so you'll have to wait until the Covid-19 crisis is over. And the cost will be £99.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

if all cables are in please you can just swap the boxes around.
Dawniemoon
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger.

Sorry my question should say that these are boxes I already have working in my house.  I only wish to swap the rooms they are currently in.

Would your answer still be the same?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

t always helps if your question is clear at the beginning rather than half way through the discussion.

The answer is "maybe". In principle you can just swap the boxes over. But because the V6 requires a separate internet connection (the TiVO has one built in) you need to ensure that your V6 can be connected to the Hub via an ethernet cable (direct connection) or via wifi (try the 5GHz band) or by using ethernet over powerline connections. No internet connection and the V6 loses all functionality.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Dawniemoon
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Howard.

I think I was clearer in the body of my original message, rather than the initial heading.

Thank you for your answer.

0 Kudos
sastusbulbas
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, getting clear answers seems difficult in this day and age with anything Virgin Media related.

Are you guys saying, that as long as you have a coax cable with F connectors, you can add a second V6 or connect a V6 box?

I have an unconnected coax cable with F connectors hanging out the corner of my siting room ceiling, this connected to a previous owners upstairs second Virgin Tivo box.

Some time back I got my Virgim Media Full House, M350, Talk Weekend package, self install, no issues, happy, but I do need to repair my phone line at the wall.

Now though, I need a sim, but buying a sim will only cost me the difference between my current package and a full Oomph package, so it makes sense to not bother buying a sim, but to upgrade my package.

And all I have wanted to find out, can I upgrade my package to an ultimate Oomph package, and can I set this up myself without an engineer, by myself by  utilising the old TiVo coax with F connections?

I would rather do this for a few reasons,

Covid.

House is a mess.

I work 12h a day.

Some years back I came home to a 70lb speaker having been pushed out the way as for some reason teh space I worked in was too small, speakers were three meters apart, TV on a stand in middle, it had been spiked to a wooden floor.

On another occasion I had redone my install with cables that I made which reached the audio/AV racks 25ft away from the TV, but the engineer fitted a few ft of cable with the box at the tv when the boxes were upgraded to Tivo and took the cables away.

And here we have a thick white coax from the previous Virgin install hanging out a plasterboard ceiling about 6 inches from the edges.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

All second V6 installations are engineer installs. No ifs and no buts. VM will resume doing these shortly.

While it is entirely possible that your second co-ax lead is "live" there no guarantee. And VM need to ensure that the second installation has the correct power levels - tech required.

Clear enough for you?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Additional boxes via Quickstart have been possible since last year.

But that does depend on the package and an address check as there are rules around whether it's offered.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I stand corrected. I didn't know.

0 Kudos