Menu
georgegeorgiou
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Instagram issue on WIFi

Hi since yesterday I can’t like any family posts on Instagram when my phone is connected to my home wifi. I can do everything else except like a post. When I move to 4G insta works fine and I can like posts. My wife is using the home wifi and her insta is fine. Can you explain why all of a sudden this has happened. My account isn’t blocked and it’s only this one thing. I can upload etc. So I am baffled.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Instagram issue on WIFi

Check your account/app

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Do you get a message saying that Instagram is stopping you from liking posts, which Google suggest is a common thing, or does it just do nothing?

Sounds like an Instagram issue.  If it was a VM issue it would effect your wife as well.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
georgegeorgiou
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott

yep I get a message from Insta saying to protect our community we have restricted but this only happens on post likes and nothing else and only on wifi which is weird. Have messaged insta as they have a tell me feature but looks like it was a coincidence when I updated the hub.

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

So the issue is with your Instagram account not VM and seems to be a common "security" step they take often.  Search for "instagram can't like posts" on Google and you will see you are not alone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
georgegeorgiou
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott

I will take a look although when I searched yesterday it was more that they had blocked accounts, I can still do everything apart fro. Like posts and when I go onto 4G I can Like posts so very weird because if they blocked me from liking then I shouldn’t be able to do it on 4G. I have reported it to them so we shall see, just annoying more than anything given I am at home 100% of the time at the mo.

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@georgegeorgiou wrote:

Hi Scott

I will take a look although when I searched yesterday it was more that they had blocked accounts, I can still do everything apart fro. Like posts and when I go onto 4G I can Like posts so very weird because if they blocked me from liking then I shouldn’t be able to do it on 4G. I have reported it to them so we shall see, just annoying more than anything given I am at home 100% of the time at the mo.

I don't use IG but this article seem to explain some reason for blocks and they seem to have different trigger thresholds for different actions, so it might block likes but still allow other actions:

https://blog.combin.com/action-blocked-on-instagram-what-triggers-and-how-to-get-rid-of-it-70d058a36...

Using 4G would result in you accessing it via a different IP which the article above suggests can make a difference. Although your wife is using the same VM IP as you and doesn't have issues, but trying to figure out the IG algorithms and how they work will drive you mad.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

sharonwallis
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Following as I am having exactly the same problem! It's definitely NOT an instagram issue but related to wi-fi. The problem is just happening on my iPhone - not on my laptop. On my iPhone I can post comments, share to my story, the only thing I can't do is like something. Then I get the error message. If I disconnect the wi-fi bingo - I can 'like' posts again. Very puzzling. No problems 'liking' when using my laptop which is connected to the same wi-fi. Would be very grateful if anyone can work out what's going on please as it's very annoying having to disconnect and then reconnect all the time. TIA.

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@sharonwallis You have said your laptop on the same WiFi is not affected, so logically how can it be a WiFi issue?

The article I linked to above states that using different devices can give different results as Instagram seem to treat them differently even if using the same account.  I'd guess that the Instagram app on your phone has a lower trigger threshold for like bans than the web version via your laptop.  As I have previously stated, trying to figure out the IG algorithms and how they work will drive you mad.

If you are getting messages from IG saying you can't post likes you need to ask them why, nothing to do with VM.

@georgegeorgiou Is your phone an iPhone?  Does your wife have an iPhone?  I'm just wondering if it might be specfic to the IG app on iPhones.

sharonwallis
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you @SCA1972 for your help. I think I may have just sussed it out (thanks to your suggestion) and it could be an iPhone problem believe it or not. I have just logged into my instagram account on my partner's Android phone and it's perfectly fine - I can like as much as I want no problem. I logged into his account on my iPhone and the same error message came up and he wasn't able to like either.