Menu
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

IPv6 via TunnelBrker (or similar)

Has anyone use a service like TunnelBroker to give them IPv6 functionality?

I like tinkering with my network, and this is probably the only thing i've not played about with yet.
I use a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter as my router, and I already have an (un-used) tunnelbroker account.

Just wondered if anyone else here had done similar, i suspect it may not be do-able longterm due to not having a true static IP.

0 Kudos
Timwilky
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: IPv6 via TunnelBrker (or similar)

I use Hurricane Electric with the tunnel established to my PFSense giving me a /64 network on the LAN. in the past 3 years I have had to restablish it once due to VM messing up the IP allocation. but it does support a dyn-dns compatable end point setup so you shouldn't need to worry about address change.

I worry more about how VM will deliver their IPv6 offer
0 Kudos
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hurricane Electric appears to be Tunnel Broker (ie same people).
I didn't notice a dyn-dns option though when i was looking.

i often wondered if it should be a /48 or /64 (or both) that would be most applicable.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tunnelbroker is indeed run by Hurricane Electric.

On Virgin Media's IP addresses:

While these are indeed allocated via DHCP they have very long lease times (approx 7days), this and the very nature of both the connection and also DHCP itself (it's not designed to change IP addresses you know), means that Virgin Media's IP addresses RARELY change - although it can happen.

Many people on here will attest to having the same IP address for over a year.

Unless you want to divide your network, it's probably best not to bother with the /48 and go with the /64 only. BTW.  I use the Hub 3 so I have set mine up with the v6v4 tunnel ending on a windows PC which is also doubling as an IPv6 router and advertising a v6 route to other devices on my LAN.

Mines probably not an ideal setup, but it works, my desktop, laptop, Xperia Z, and iPad all get IPv6 addresses.

The only fly in the ointment is Netflix, who see Tunnelbroker in the same light as a VPN or proxy who want to get round Geo-IP, thus unless you block IPv6 routes to Netflix, you'll get errors when streaming video Smiley Sad.

With regards ending the tunnel on your router - your router needs to be able to support 6in4 tunnelling - NOT 6to4 which is a different method.  I did once have a netgear router flashed with an IPv6 capable build of DD-WRT, sadly I don't have it anymore, but that worked a treat as well, although you had to create a script to start the tunnel (fortunately available online) and set it up to run when the router was rebooted.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

We use https://aa.net.uk/broadband-l2tp.html for our IPv6. Works well with a Router Board. Can't remember if the Edgerouter has an L2TP client.

0 Kudos
Morgaine
Superfast
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@chenks writes:

Has anyone use a service like TunnelBroker to give them IPv6 functionality?

I like tinkering with my network, and this is probably the only thing i've not played about with yet. I use a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter as my router, and I already have an (un-used) tunnelbroker account.

I've had a Hurricane Electric ("HE") tunnel for many years, and they're a very reliable and flexible tunnel provider.  Coincidentally I also have an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter-X, although it's not running my HE tunnel endpoint --- that's located on a dedicated Linux PC running a good firewall.  I'd like to try offloading the HE endpoint onto the ER-X some day, maybe quite soon.  I'll be quite interested if you go down that road.

That said, it's believed that Virgin's native IPv6 is waiting in the wings to be released imminently, although Virgin being Virgin, "They ain't sayin'" of course.  All we have to go on are our APNIC stats, graphs and analysis, plus VM's hints about readiness for release contained in the document they presented at the recent UK IPv6 Council meeting --- https://www.ipv6.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/LG-Virgin-IPv6-Rollout-UK-IPv6-Council.pdf

HE tunnels don't lose their interest after we have a native IPv6 service available here, at least not for techies, since multi-homing provides us with very useful resilience.  It's probably not a great idea to be fighting tunnels and the new native service simultaneously though. Smiley Tongue

Morgaine.

"If it only does IPv4, it is broken." -- George Michaelson, APNIC.
0 Kudos
tw99
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Late response... but I wrote a simple HowTo for how to configure a Ubiquiti Edgerouter with IPv6 using an HE tunnel:

http://www.employees.org/~tw/he-ipv6-ubnt.html

0 Kudos