Menu
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

IP number changed

I just discovered that my IP number has changed, from around 4:00 PM

yesterday.  I have been given a new IP number so my BQM (Broadband Quality Monitor)

had to be renewed as the previous number now doesn't work

I had been getting very good graphs with the old number, I just hope the new one

is just as good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: IP number changed

IP addresses do not affect the connection quality. Its a bit of header data in the IP stack. Nothing that can affect the connection

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I don't entirely agree with @apcyberax on this one.  

With VM the external IP address generally only changes when there has been some engineering activity to change the local network configuration.

This could cause a difference in connection quality.

Since reading this thread I have noticed that my external IP address must have changed a few days ago as I am getting the red wall on the bqm of the previous address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

How can you disagree with me and them give an example of what i was saying?

"With VM the external IP address generally only changes when there has been some engineering activity to change the local network configuration."

So i am right. The IP will not affect the connection. The engineering work will. But the IP has ZERO impact on the connection as its only 32 bits in a header.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
How can you disagree with me and them give an example of what i was saying?

"With VM the external IP address generally only changes when there has been some engineering activity to change the local network configuration."

So i am right. The IP will not affect the connection. The engineering work will. But the IP has ZERO impact on the connection as its only 32 bits in a header.

Oh come on, your taking the urine.  The IP address itself doesn't affect the connection, but the reason for it changing might.  Where did you explain that in your original reply to @Buffer6 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

where did the OP say anything about network changes,. They said i hope a new IP doesn't make my connection worse". If you want to make links where there isn't any we can also say that the solar orbits can affect the connection though solar flares when the IP changes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Buffer6 didn't mention it, but that is not really the point as they may not understand how it works .  I'm surprised they didn't understand why the IP address had changed, given their time on the community.  Perhaps too much of that time is spent posting You Tube video links 😩

Anyway, enough said in the public forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Seems to be a lot of IP changes lately, mine has changed after 3 1/2 years.

One thing people should be aware of, as briefly mentioned by the op, is that it affects their BQM. I noticed my change because I have a cron job checking it hourly, but a lot of people would not notice the IP change. If I do a BQM on my old IP address it still looks fine, that’s because someone else has been assigned my old one. So people could be looking at the wrong BQM for weeks! /

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A wrote:

Buffer6 didn't mention it, but that is not really the point as they may not understand how it works .  I'm surprised they didn't understand why the IP address had changed, given their time on the community.  Perhaps too much of that time is spent posting You Tube video links 

Buffer6_0-1600494606698.png

Anyway, enough said in the public forum.

Wrong, To clarify, I do know that changes to the network configuration result in an IP number change, I'm just hoping that change isn't for the worse

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:

correct. the IP address in itself has nothing to do with any improvement or degradation of connection.
that would be like saying changing the house number on your front door automatically made your neighbourhood better or worse.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos