cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address range question

SJB0448
Joining in

I work from home and have to upload certain files to my clients SFTP server. I have found out they they require a list of IP addresses that are allowed access to their server for security reasons. I gave them my IP address, but see that Virgin use dynamic IP addresses so my IP address has since changed and is now not listed on the clients site so can't load the files.

Is there a way to provide them with a range of IP address that are used for my region (Oxford)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

@SJB0448 wrote:

I work from home and have to upload certain files to my clients SFTP server. I have found out they they require a list of IP addresses that are allowed access to their server for security reasons. I gave them my IP address, but see that Virgin use dynamic IP addresses so my IP address has since changed and is now not listed on the clients site so can't load the files.

Is there a way to provide them with a range of IP address that are used for my region (Oxford)?

Not really no, and even if VM were to give a list, it would be so big that your client would effectively be opening themselves up to World+Dog to access their system and they would almost certainly refuse.

Having said that, the VM public addresses, while being dynamic, are very, very sticky and only change if you replace your hub, use your own router with the hub in modem mode or VM carry out a bit of network re-segmentation, which isn’t very common at all. Some users have reported having the same address for literally years.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

jem101
Superstar

@SJB0448 wrote:

Not really no, and even if VM were to give a list, it would be so big that your client would effectively be opening themselves up to World+Dog to access their system and they would almost certainly refuse.

Having said that, the VM public addresses, while being dynamic, are very, very sticky and only change if you replace your hub, use your own router with the hub in modem mode or VM carry out a bit of network re-segmentation, which isn’t very common at all. Some users have reported having the same address for literally years.

This cannot be a new problem. Can't the client set up a DDNS?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection