Menu
Harrythedee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I cut through customers incorrectly laid virgin cable. How do I get charge cancelled?

I started a job the other day and whilst scraping a customers grass I came across an unexpected virgin media cable. The cable was in the ground about an inch unprotected by the usual green conduit that it should be in. I scraped about 12 inches of the coating of the TV cable, the Internet cable was undamaged. A Virgin engineer came today and cut out and replaced 18 inches of TV aeriel and was there for about 20 minutes. He told me and the customer that the cable was incorrectly laid far too high and it should have been protected and that he will put this in his notes. He told us that there shouldn't be a charge because it was incorrectly laid, the problem is the customer has been charged £99 and is passing that charge on to me. How do I get Virgin to cancel his charge? Thanks for your help. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: I cut through customers incorrectly laid virgin cable. How do I get charge cancelled?

you can't get VM to do anything as they can only deal with the account holder.

VM will not normally charge for repairs. You need to get the customer to contact CS and see if they can get it refunded
0 Kudos
Harrythedee
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: I cut through customers incorrectly laid virgin cable. How do I get charge cancelled?

The customer is put off because they had to wait 1 hour 45 minutes to speak to somebody when they rang to report the cable on Tuesday. I have the customers permission to contact Virgin I have name, address, phone number, Virgin account number etc... Would anybody from Virgin on here be able to look into it or contact the customer directly to discuss it to avoid them having to wait nearly 2 hours on the phone? Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

VM will not deal with you without the customer being present. As for the charge if VM can't be persuaded by the customer and the notes on the account not to charge then the cost rightly falls on your shoulders. You should be insured for such events as part of your public liability cover. As for the cable being incorrectly laid, that is doubtful. VM's practice is not always to use conduit when burying cables just below the surface. They may use conduit for above surface runs however.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Harrythedee
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately an incorrectly laid cable is not covered by my PLI because I disclosed that it was incorrectly laid 🙈. Anything above 100mm should be armoured or in a conduit. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

it is not incorrectly laid. there is no regulations for the vm lines.

seems like you have told your insurance company bad info and it may cost you 😞
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

yeah bottom line is...

1) you cannot speak to virgin about anything regarding this as the account holder has not told virgin that you are an approved person to deal with account issues

2) billing issues can't be dealt with here anyway, even if you were on the approved contact list

3) the account holder is responsible for the charge, not you

4) if the account holder wants to pass the charge on to you then that is a separate issue that you need to deal with by speak to them.

5) there are no documented rules for laying the cable, so it might have been "poorly" installed, but not "incorrectly" installed in any legal sense.

6) regardless of whether it was incorrectly laid or not, you can claim on your PLI as you caused the damaged - however i would doubt that £99 is worth claiming on.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Harrythedee
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Remind me to accidentally put my shovel through one of the main virgin media pipes running under footpath **bleep**. (joke). Well, they either refund the customer or it will cost them more in the long 

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

sounds like a threat.
however, that's up to the customer to decide, not you.
tell your customer they need to speak to Virgin - this is not something you can deal with.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

lets hope you never end up making a mistake and doing this now you have said you are going to. joke or not.
0 Kudos