Menu
Paulo2800
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hub4

Hi guys and gals anyone know any info on getting the new hub 4,I live in the Wirral any plans to let us get the chance to upgrade to the new hub as I know alot of people have issues with WiFi in our homes as we all now in another lockdown,so therfore we are using broadband even more,thanks.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub4

@Paulo2800 wrote:

Hi guys and gals anyone know any info on getting the new hub 4,I live in the Wirral any plans to let us get the chance to upgrade to the new hub as I know alot of people have issues with WiFi in our homes as we all now in another lockdown,so therfore we are using broadband even more,thanks.

You really don't want the HUB 4 with the current reported issues.

You are better off putting your existing HUB in modem mode and buying your own router/mesh system.

0 Kudos
Paulo2800
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry not very tech savi at all what u mean about putting into modem mode and what u recommend to get as a router/mesh system for the wifi.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Paulo2800 wrote:

Sorry not very tech savi at all what u mean about putting into modem mode and what u recommend to get as a router/mesh system for the wifi.

Thanks 

The HUB, by default, is in router mode which means all devices, both wired and wireless, connect to it to acquire an internet connection. There is an option within the HUB settings to put it in modem mode, which means the HUB provides an internet connection ONLY, no wired or wireless connectivity for 'normal' devices (technically one wired device can have an internet connection):

You can then purchase your own router or mesh system that connects to the HUB using a wired (Ethernet) connection, and all your wired and wireless devices connect to YOUR router instead.

Something like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M4-Seamless-Coverage-Replacement/dp/B07NH1J543 

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/deco-m4/ 

0 Kudos
Paulo2800
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that 

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have my new SH4 in modem mode with an ASUS RT-AC5300.

WOW its fast.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

VM_1Gpbs_02.JPG

--
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@RedGooner wrote:

I have my new SH4 in modem mode with an ASUS RT-AC5300.

WOW its fast.

Does link aggregation work between the HUB 4 and ASUS?

On my rt-ax86u there is WAN aggregation, however I only have a HUB 3 with 350Mbps so it's not worth it.

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No it does not.

When in Modem Mode, only Port 1 of the 4 ethernets ports work. So i am maxing out the ethernet.

If only VM had put a 2.5Gbps or 10Gbps port on the back of the SH4

But hey i am well happy with the speed.

--
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Anonymous Does link aggregation work between the HUB 4 and ASUS?

I don't know, but other people have been experimenting using different setups, with some indications claiming success.  You'll need to read the whole of that thread, and it doesn't look a simple task to get it all working.  Even then, you're at risk of a hub firmware update messing things up because you're relying on hub capabilities that aren't supported.  There may be similar posts somewhere in this forum, or more recent knowledge on the matter.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos