Menu
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 and ThinkBroadband

Has anyone with a Hub 4 had issues with it not displaying any connected devices or responding to ThinkBroadband Monitor pings?

Hub has been restarted, made no difference though, Hub 4 connected to a Nighthawk R7800 which is then connected to a 1Gb Switch, Hub 3 used to respond to the Pings and show the connected device as the R7800, Hub is in Modem mode.

Hub4.PNGhub4ping.png

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 and ThinkBroadband

Hello

When in modem only mode it will always show no connected devices as the monitoring part of the hub 4 firmware is turned off as all data is handled by your own router.

Thinkbroadband the response to ping will be controlled by the your router and not the hub, now if you had a replacement hub your external IP address has been changed so make sure that the thinkbroadband has the right IP address.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

When in modem only mode it will always show no connected devices as the monitoring part of the hub 4 firmware is turned off as all data is handled by your own router.

Thinkbroadband the response to ping will be controlled by the your router and not the hub, now if you had a replacement hub your external IP address has been changed so make sure that the thinkbroadband has the right IP address.

Regards Mike

It should still show the R7800 since it is connected to the only active port on the Hub 4 to provide internet to it as that's how it was on the SH3, too, and that worked without a hitch. The only change in this setup is my IP which has been changed on TBB and the Hub 4..

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

are you sure the hub3 did?
i have just looked at my hub3 in modem mode, and there is no screen showing connected devices on the overview screen.

when in modem mode (hub3, hub4 etc), the ping response does not come from the hub, so if you are getting a no response then it's not the hub causing the issue. the hub simply passed the un-touched internet to your router.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I myself am running modem only mode and as previously stated there is no list of devices on the hub 3 when in modem mode.

Screenshot (9).png

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@spgray wrote:

are you sure the hub3 did?
i have just looked at my hub3 in modem mode, and there is no screen showing connected devices on the overview screen.

when in modem mode (hub3, hub4 etc), the ping response does not come from the hub, so if you are getting a no response then it's not the hub causing the issue. the hub simply passed the un-touched internet to your router.

Definitely, I remember it actively showing R7800, but it does seem odd that after a hub change it's now acting up but I'll check the Router & Switch to see if there's anything that's changed during maybe an auto update or something and monitor it, thanks lads. 

wrote:

Hello

I myself am running modem only mode and as previously stated there is no list of devices on the hub 3 when in modem mode.

Screenshot (9).png

Regards Mike

It definitely did but it might just have been browser cache or something which made it stick permanently, it's fine though as it does seem weird to have messed up on Hub change but maybe when i turned it all off to switch the Hub when turning back on my Router/switch auto updated and changed a setting I forgot about, thanks anyways. I'll have a look and come back to this if figured out

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Its possible that the hub 4 is blocking ICMP inbound when in modem mode but really it shouldn't and your Nighthawk R7800 should be doing the pinging.

You could test modem mode with a PC to the hub and setup and allow inbound ICMP from BQM.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@legacy1 wrote:
Its possible that the hub 4 is blocking ICMP inbound when in modem mode but really it shouldn't and your Nighthawk R7800 should be doing the pinging.

You could test modem mode with a PC to the hub and setup and allow inbound ICMP from BQM.

It was the same with the direct connection. Managed to find the option inside my R7800 and it does appear as if it was blocking the Ping requests for some reason, can only assume it was updated when turned on or whatever. Seems to be fixed now and pining properly which is good. 

Thanks for the replies guys, apologies it was a fairly simple fix!

0 Kudos