Menu
Highlighted
Dee1335
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Href.li

Hi!

Just wondering if there is some way I can get rid of Href.li?  It stops my connection to various sites through links on pages and is really annoying.  Upon pressing the link, the following message appears

'This site can't be reached.  The connection was reset.  Try checking the connection / checking the proxy and the firewall / running windows network diagnostics.  ERR_CONNECTION_RESET.

I don't seem able to resolve this :0(
Thanks for any replies.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Href.li

Try

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=remove+Href.li

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Dee1335
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that :0)
I have downloaded the Wipersoft tool; should be available for free in 48 hours. I'll let you know how I get on.
I did try going into the settings, as also described through this link, however the instructions don't quite marry with the Google Chrome settings on my laptop.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dee1335,

Thank you for reaching out.

How are things looking at the moment? Were you able to try using the link Kippies (Thanks!) provided? or Are you able to manage getting rid of Href.li?

Please let us know so we can further assist.

Kind regards,

Raziel_I

0 Kudos
Dee1335
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Raziel_I,

I used the trial Wiper Soft tool, however, the problem still pesists :0(

Kind regards,

Dee

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Dee1335 Try Malwarebytes:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

I have used it for years to keep my PC clean of malware.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Dee1335
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that Scott,

I downloaded and ran malwarebytes as you suggested.  It flagged up a lot of PUP files, which I quarantined, however href.li is still a problem :0(

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Dee1335 wrote:

Thanks for that Scott,

I downloaded and ran malwarebytes as you suggested.  It flagged up a lot of PUP files, which I quarantined, however href.li is still a problem :0(

Having had a bit more time to look into "href.li" it appears that what you are quoting is a web link that uses the "href.li" URL shortening/anonymizing service.  I had initially thought that this was a new virus/malware called "href.li" but that is sort of a red herring.

There is some malware on your PC that is trying to redirect you to a site that based on your initial report no longer exists.  It is probably a web browser addon or toolbar that has hijacked your browser.  Normally they get picked up by Malwarebytes as PUPs and removed but it seems you have a more stubborn one.  Did you boot the PC into safe mode before running the scan?

You could also try Spybot:

https://www.safer-networking.org/products/spybot-free-edition/

Do you have a backup from before this issue started that you could restore to?

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Dee1335
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that.

I have restoration points, but annoyingly none pre-href.if 

Currently scanning with Spybot ... will let you know how I get on :0)

Dee1335
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The result with Spybot is exactly the same, 'href.li sent an invalid response'.

I am beginning to wonder if this is a Virgin broadband issue?  I have tried to access the site from 3 different devices, 2 of which are rarely used, and the same thing happens. The only thing they all have in common is the broadband connection.

I recently changed to Virgin when I moved home; with my previous supplier I had no problem whatsoever ....

0 Kudos