cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get a new hub suitable for my current plan?

FFFluoride
Joining in

I have upgraded my plan multiple times but my hub is quite old, not to mention I suspect it's a bottleneck in the internet speed of connected devices. How would I go about getting a new router? Is it possible to get it for free?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you getting the correct download/upload speeds for your package?

If you are then as far as VM are concerned you have the right equipment no matter of its age. The equipment is rented, so if it is still performing to spec they will not replace it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you getting the correct download/upload speeds for your package?

If you are then as far as VM are concerned you have the right equipment no matter of its age. The equipment is rented, so if it is still performing to spec they will not replace it.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

FFFluoride
Joining in

Thanks. I guess if I want better connectivity I can just buy a better router and modem mode the hub. That's how you do it right?

What plan are you on now? You say the hub is old but which one have you got?

I was on the 350mb service, hadnt upgraded for ages and had the Hub 3 and paying £58 a month. Yes, getting fleeced for being a "loyal" customer, have just upgraded to the 1 GB for an extra £2 a month. 

Be careful what you wish for though, my Hub 5 is being a pain atm.

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@FFFluoride wrote:

Thanks. I guess if I want better connectivity I can just buy a better router and modem mode the hub. That's how you do it right?

Correct, this is what many of us have done and it allows you to pick a router that suits your needs.

My setup: VM TV 360 box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.