cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How BT are doing the changeover from PSTN

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

BT have started to remove the PSTN connection is certain areas. They are taking a different approach to VM.

This info is for people with telephone cabled broadband and only under 70 years old at present. Nothing as yet if you just have a BT phone and no broadband.

There are 3 options.

1) You can cancel you telephone connection from changeover day and you do not have to do anything

2) BT will supply you with one new handset for free, others can be purchased. This handset uses WiFi to connect to the BT hub and only a power connection required. No info about what to do if you are in bridge mode with their router.

3) BT will supply a small box that connects via WiFi to your BT router and you can plug your existing phone into it.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
8 REPLIES 8

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

AFAIK the BT Hubs don’t have bridge mode, but I could be mistaken?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ephemerol
Dialled in

Do you have any information about the box they're offering for option 3?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"AFAIK the BT Hubs don’t have bridge mode, but I could be mistaken?"

The one my daughter has got bridge mode, because I went to great trouble putting the PPoE credentials into her AirPort router. Luckily she is going to ditch the phone line as she never uses it.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Haven't followed BT's latest hub offerings but the one I have (installed spring of 2022) on a FTTP connection has a telephone socket on the back (as per a VM hub) to connect an ordinary phone. There is also an option to use BT's cordless handsets for anyone taking a landline service as well and these seem to use a new DECT standard to connect to the BT hub which is the cordless phone base. There also appears to be an option for a BT device which plugs into a wall socket, and presents a conventional BT phone socket, at a remote location and connects cordlessly back to the BT hub to allow standard phones to be plugged in at a remote location in the home without any extension wiring.

Don't use the 'digital voice' service myself but a neighbour who took it up said he had endless problems with the BT handsets losing connection to the base. He now has quite a collection of replacement handset devices!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

ephemerol
Dialled in

Interesting, thankyou. It's a pity they didn't add DECT functionality to it too.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ephemerol wrote:

Interesting, thankyou. It's a pity they didn't add DECT functionality to it too.

If you have a DECT base station, I assume you could plug it into one of those adapters. Or you could plug the DECT base station in to the back of the BT hub.

The BT hub itself seems to be a DECT base station for the BT handsets and claims the hub will work with

"any DECT CATiq 2.1 compliant phone to work with the hub without needing a base station."

from

https://admireit.co.uk/products/bt-smart-hub-2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When I moved to VoIP, I found this video helpful in connecting my phones to an ATA.

How to Connect Landline Phones / Extensions to VOIP on Fibre Internet - YouTube

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks