Menu
owens_2k
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hitron Router with Deco M5

Hi, 

I have my new Hitron Router arriving tomorrow and am seeking advice on the best way to set it up with my Deco M5 mesh system.

My current set up is using my hub 3 as a router.  I have 2 ethernets connected to it, one for the DVR box of my cctv and the other for the main deco. Everything else connects wirelessly (10 devices at any one time max).

Some of what I have read seems to suggest modem mode would be better for the Hitron, this disables all but one ethernet port on the Hitron I believe?

So for my new set up im thinking put the Hitron Router in modem mode with one ethernet going to the main deco unit, and then another ethernet going from my main deco unit to the DVR for the CCTV (The deco unit has 2 ethernet ports). Everything else connected wirelessly. Does this sound like the best way of setting it up?

I also read people replacing their Hitron with a 3rd party router, would anyone recommend a decent one for the number of connections mentioned above?

Thanks

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hitron Router with Deco M5

pretty sure that, like the hub, the hitron is required to terminate the cable connection, i.e. you can't buy a different cable modem.

what you have suggested is recommended way to set it up - if you need more ethernet ports then you'll have to buy a cheap 1gb switch, connect that to the deco second port and then any other cabled connections into the switch.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Where is the Hitron from?

Are you a VM Business customer?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
owens_2k
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am a new Business customer yes. My new Hitron arrives tomorrow

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Three friends recently got the Deco M5 system and are extremely pleased with it. Saying, “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”.

Just set it up this way

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it. Put the VM Hub into modem mode (see VM website for “how to” details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP & Nat mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Does the Hitron for Business customers allow for Modem Mode?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter wrote:
Does the Hitron for Business customers allow for Modem Mode?

yup, but with limitations - e.g. no static IP address (or range of IP addresses)

0 Kudos
owens_2k
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Have to say, I have nothing but bad things to say about this Deco M5 system.

Poor coverage, and some seriously slow speeds. I am right next to the router where the main deco unit is plugged into it via ethernet and on a 350mbps line I am getting 0.5mbps on my phone!

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@owens_2k wrote:

Poor coverage, and some seriously slow speeds. I am right next to the router where the main deco unit is plugged into it via ethernet and on a 350mbps line I am getting 0.5mbps on my phone!

this is unusual for the deco product line - it's well regarded.. it suggests to me that there's either a fault with your deco unit(s) or there's an underlying problem on the line that is limiting speed

what speed do you get when connected to the deco unit via ethernet?  does the speed improve if you put the hitron back into router mode and use that? what troubleshooting have you done to arrive at the conclusion that it's a problem with the deco rather than the hitron/connection?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@owens_2k wrote:

Then either you haven't set the system up properly as I suggested, or it just doesn't work on a Hitron router (ask "VM Business" about that) or its simply borked.  I have 3 friends using them right now and they are absolutely fine on residential equipment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos