cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with TV Box

bigfreddeh
Tuning in

Apologies if this seems like an odd question. But currently I have a 1GB broadband connection package, which is fantastic. I have a Virgin stream box in my bedroom, which is also great. However, I would like to set up another streaming box downstairs, specifically for Freeview and possibly for recording, if it supports it. If I were to purchase a second-hand box from eBay (maybe a 360 or TiVo box)  and connect it, would I require an additional wall socket, or could I use a splitter to do it myself? Or, is it worth purchasing a second Stream box? It’s also worth noting that we don’t have any aerials in our house, so I rely on the internet and on-demand services through my Firestick and streaming box. Can someone please provide further assistance on this matter? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

ALL Virgin boxes are rented, you never own them. The boxes offered on eBay are therefore stolen property. These boxes MUST be linked to an account when they are despatched from Virgin, so buying an "illegal" one & plugging it in won't work. All channels (even the free ones) are encrypted on the network, & V360 boxes must handshake with the headend server to make sure they are authorised on your account.

You also cannot take TV 360 services & Stream on the same account, so its no use calling customer services & trying to activate a stolen one

Stream is restricted to one box per account, so you have three options.

1) Switch from Stream to V360 with multiroom & pay for two V360 boxes (coax is required to ALL boxes & is part of the arranged installation).

2) Get yourself a Freeview TV box (may need a rooftop aerial) for the second TV.

3) Get Sky Stream boxes (will work on any provider, unlike Virgins. You can also have more than one). These will cloud record some (but not all) channels.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

ALL Virgin boxes are rented, you never own them. The boxes offered on eBay are therefore stolen property. These boxes MUST be linked to an account when they are despatched from Virgin, so buying an "illegal" one & plugging it in won't work. All channels (even the free ones) are encrypted on the network, & V360 boxes must handshake with the headend server to make sure they are authorised on your account.

You also cannot take TV 360 services & Stream on the same account, so its no use calling customer services & trying to activate a stolen one

Stream is restricted to one box per account, so you have three options.

1) Switch from Stream to V360 with multiroom & pay for two V360 boxes (coax is required to ALL boxes & is part of the arranged installation).

2) Get yourself a Freeview TV box (may need a rooftop aerial) for the second TV.

3) Get Sky Stream boxes (will work on any provider, unlike Virgins. You can also have more than one). These will cloud record some (but not all) channels.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your answer. It all makes sense. I appreciate the reply.