Menu
noaminano
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

'Hacker Phone Call'

I've just recieved a call from a 'Virgin Media member of the IT Department' that my internet was 'hacked' yet he had no idea where I was and who I was, and wouldn't stop calling..

Number 01156864781

VM84256H

'Max Payne'

Whom which, not to stereotype, did not sound like a Max Payne and the number was traced back to New Delhi, I'm pretty positive it is a scam but how would I shut him down, as he keeps calling and won't take no for an answer.

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 'Hacker Phone Call'

'Max Payne' certainly describes the suffering and annoyance that these scam calls cause for many people. Some scammer humour maybe?

Now that Max has spoken to you, and knows your line is working and that there is someone answering at the end of it, he will be very keen to talk to you and will continue calling!

Ideally, turn off the ringer or let the calls ring out unanswered and screen the calls on caller ID. If you do make regular use of the line, let all the calls go to answering machine. See if your phone allows you to set a unique ring tone for callers in your phone address book. Let all other calls go to answering machine

If the scam calls go unanswered by a real person, the frequency of the calls will subside eventually (sometimes quickly, sometimes taking a lot longer).

HughJarsse
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Simple answer, do as I do when these scammers try it on..

Arm yourself with a very loud whistle, (My late father was a local FA ref, so I have his!!)

When the scammer starts his monologue (spiel), take a deep breath, and then give him the whole lot through the whistle, placed by the speaker on the phone... (I usually wait a few seconds, then say, 'Hello, are you there??', strangely, they don't appear to be, sadly)  

I can guarantee that he, or his friends wont be trying that again too often, once the word gets round...

Strangely enough, the number of these calls I now get has dropped off dramatically..

PS, please ascertain that the caller is in fact a scammer first though  before doing this... (foreign speakers named 'Adam', 'Richard', 'James', etc, in an Indian accent usually)

Oyster
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have one of those gas powered foghorns that small boats sometimes carry. I may try that
noaminano
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this! I was honestly starting to go mad due to the amount of calls I had to ignore but I've only recieved one more call and unfortunately my father answered unknowingly and passed me the phone. Turns out it was a lady this time, I shut her down saying that I did not use virginmedia, and she hasn't called back yet fortunately!
0 Kudos