Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HDMI splitter on a Tivo box

Hi,

I have been running two TVs (1 in our back room & 1 in the bedroom) off my 2nd Tivo box happily for 18months.

I have attempted to do the same from the main Tivo box (the one connected directly to the hub) as we are extending downstairs - but its not working properly.

The TV signal is transmitted but if we try to watch Amazon Prime (or any other app) it just gives a purple screen on BOTH connected TVs.

I've tried changing the (powered) splitter and cables - to the degree I've even taken the cabling AND splitter from the working set up on box 2, to the other box but it still doesn't work?!?

Is there an output setting I need to change on the Tivo itself?

Both TVs are new(ish) smart ones running on 1080p

Any ideas as I'm completely puzzled?

Thanks in hope 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: HDMI splitter on a Tivo box

What are the TV models specifically and what is the make / model of the splitter?
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben,

The splitter is;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B071HBC92N?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

And I've been running 2 TVs off it for last 18months that are;

55" Samsung 7400 series

+ an older small Samsung

I'm now using the same splitter (literally the same one after trying another & thinking IT was faulty) into;

An older Sony (but still a smart TV)

+ A brand new 43" Samsung 7100 series

Is it worth me trying a different combination (ie the new telly & one of the other Samsungs) to see if it works?

I consider myself fairly competent at fixing/figuring out tech problems but this  has me baffled?!?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK follow up questions. What is the V6 output resolution set as?

And this may sound an odd question but are you sure that new Samsung TV is HD only? The only 7100 model at that size I can find on Samsungs website is a 4k one.

That splitter only supports HDCP 1.4 which the V6 doesn't like when set to 2160. Apps and On Demand will look for HDCP 2.2 when the V6 is set to 2160.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A BIG thanks for taking the time to answer & advise Ben

The new Samsung IS 4K - I presumed it was 'backwards' compatible and would be fine with a lower level input?  It's the TV that is being 'added in to the loop so, as far as I understand it, is simply taking the feed that is already being outputted rather than dictating it?

The older Sony (that WAS the sole output of the Tivo before) is 1080 capable and was working fine with the Tivo before.

I've not changed any settings on the Tivo and simply repeated what I'd done on the secondary box with this powered splitter?

I've checked and its still set to 1080 (& lower) as it recognizes that the TV (Sony?) isn't capable at owt higher.

If I unplug the splitter and plug the Tivo direct into the Sony, Amazon Prime et all work fine, but stop if I put it thru the splitter - which it DOESN'T do when using the same splitter and cables from the secondary box?!?

Confused!!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'd agree it should work but copy protection can get tricky

Does the new Samsung 4k TV work without the splitter?
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The new TV works fine with the 'TV' output from the hdmi cable coming out of the splitter - the problem was only happening when I select one of the apps (Prime, Netflix, etc) through the Tivo.

I say WAS - as, working on what you mentioned, I changed the video output to select 1080i, 720, etc AS WELL as the 1080 it was on and... now it works!?!

The picture looks the same quality as it was when it was being fed solely into one TV (& set at 1080 only) - bizarre??

But - its working now regardless, so thanks for your time and input.

0 Kudos