Menu
Poface
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

HDMI Extender signal issue

Hi

I have just set up an eSynic HDMI extender  with IR and a  HDMI splitter 

I have tested it the setup with both my Tivo box and my blu-ray player. The receiving TV has a message, "unsupported signal check your device output" so have a black screen but the IR works fine

I have used a cat7 network cable, tested all cables network and HDMI, bypassed the splitter box. The receiving TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-32we613 updated the TV to the latest version of software

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I contact Sony as I think it may be an issue with the TV

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: HDMI Extender signal issue

@Poface wrote:

Hi

I have just set up an eSynic HDMI extender  with IR and a  HDMI splitter 

I have tested it the setup with both my Tivo box and my blu-ray player. The receiving TV has a message, "unsupported signal check your device output" so have a black screen but the IR works fine

I have used a cat7 network cable, tested all cables network and HDMI, bypassed the splitter box. The receiving TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-32we613 updated the TV to the latest version of software

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I contact Sony as I think it may be an issue with the TV

Thanks in advance

The manufacturer state a cable with an IEEE-568B spec. Could you check the wire config on your cable:

0 Kudos
Poface
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I thought the only difference between the two was the swapped colours on two of the pairs. 

I have contacted the seller of the cable who where not much help.

I will change the cable for the right spec to see if that helps.

Thanks for your response I will post the result of the cable change 🤗

0 Kudos
Poface
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well after many hours and much fiddling,  swapping cables, output sources and  TV the only conclusion I could come to is that I bought some faulty cheap Chinese toot.

So I have sent it back and will buy a better quality extender

If anyone has any suggestions for a good kit please let me know

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Why don't you move the TV close to the TiVo, connect with a regular HDMI cable to test if the TV is at fault.

Also, if you want to keep the TV in its present position can you get the TiVo moved closer to it, VM will charge £99.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Poface
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Looks like you was right Carl they don't seem to like the Cat7 cable even though the installation guide said they do. I couldn't find out the spec of the Cat 7 cable so went an bought a cat6 today tested it and it works. Thanks 😁

"Why don't you move the TV close to the TiVo, connect with a regular HDMI cable to test if the TV is at fault.

Also, if you want to keep the TV in its present position can you get the TiVo moved closer to it, VM will charge £99."

The HDMI extender is to connect a second TV to the cable box in the bedroom using a splitter so moving the box wouldn't have helped help the extender has IR function so I can control the box from the other room too.

I can stay in bed longer now I'm not limited to freeview in the bedroom WooHoo

The moral of this story is don't believe everything you read there is a difference between Cat6 and Cat7 not just the colour convention and the manufacturers don't tell the whole truth

And community works 😁

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Poface wrote:

Looks like you was right Carl they don't seem to like the Cat7 cable even though the installation guide said they do. I couldn't find out the spec of the Cat 7 cable so went an bought a cat6 today tested it and it works. Thanks 😁

"Why don't you move the TV close to the TiVo, connect with a regular HDMI cable to test if the TV is at fault.

Also, if you want to keep the TV in its present position can you get the TiVo moved closer to it, VM will charge £99."

The HDMI extender is to connect a second TV to the cable box in the bedroom using a splitter so moving the box wouldn't have helped help the extender has IR function so I can control the box from the other room too.

I can stay in bed longer now I'm not limited to freeview in the bedroom WooHoo

The moral of this story is don't believe everything you read there is a difference between Cat6 and Cat7 not just the colour convention and the manufacturers don't tell the whole truth

And community works 😁

Glad to hear you sorted it!

0 Kudos
Clarky1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I’ve just got VM and have an old 4-way HDMI splitter connected to TVs all over the house using hdmi boosters through cat5 cables. The farthest TV away has probably 30metres of cat5 cable (fitted in ~2012 apparently) and the HD picture quality is massively better than that from Sky through the same internal set up.

So, your issue may not be the cat 7 cable, given cat 5 is working well for me.

But I am struggling with the remote this far away - it’s not reliable but does work if pointing in certain directions.  The fitter said it’s Bluetooth but I’d seen on other threads on here that it was IR.  I got an IR extender (works via RF signal) but it doesn’t pick up anything from the Virgin remote (it flashes red when I press my IR tv remote).  Any idea how to change the remote to IR, or even if it’s possible?

0 Kudos
Poface
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Clarky1

The hdmi extender I have has the IR built in and the VM remote is IR

I have a two way splitter going to one other TV

The IR function of the extender is one way so has a send and receive.

So if yours is one way and you have RX and TX the wrong way round it wont work

I also had to fiddle around with the IR sender and in relation to the VM box receiver

Hope this helps