Menu
Daviddaaniel
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Green box health and safety

I have recently bought a new build property, we have just been informed a green box will be partly obstructing our driveway. Looking into it this seems a health and safety issue as it would block view of children when entering and exiting the driveway. Is there anything we could possibly do to have the box moved? 

I have read other articles on here and I understand usually it would be pay ourself or it’s staying but I was wondering if it being a health and safety issue would make it a different case.

thank you. 

David

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Green box health and safety

post some photos showing where the box is planned 

is this work in progress - have you or the builder widened the drive way from the original plans - the siting of boxes is approved by the councils - it would be unusual [to say the least] for them to approve a cabinet partially blocking a driveway unless their plans are different to what actually exists

if nothing exists then assuming there are alternatives VM may site it differently - if work has been done then its unlikely anything will happen

i would also suggest you talk to the council

Tony
0 Kudos
Daviddaaniel
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

CB76EBD8-87C4-4388-9739-75F43AA3BAF4.jpeg

I’ve included a picture, sorry should have done in last one. The house is a new build and the box was already there. I believe the drive way is 3m and the box cuts it to 2m at the entrance.  

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My first thoughts are you are going to be unlucky. Those are not just bog standard HFC distribution cabinets. That is a fibre node & telephone exchange D/A conversion box driving upward of 25 slave cabinets which can service up to 5000 customers. It has two power supplies & a load of UPS batteries to sustain telephones during power outages.

If you have got the odd spare £100,000 you might get it moved, but VM are under no obligation to move it. It was there first, was put there with permission & you are buying the property in full knowledge there are existing access issues.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i agree with the above - i dont think you have a cat in hells chance - my view is the builder is having a laugh or seems to be building behind the boxes - he will know full well they cannot be moved so are a major obstruction to access and view

your options are very much up to you and i accept you may have thought they could be moved before purchase - if it was me and contracts are not signed i would be looking at a house away from the boxes 

Tony
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The MSAN and power cabinets were installed years ago. Surely you check out the plot of land or the house before making a purchase?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
MonkeySee019
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

even if you paid the £100,000's it would cost lets be honest.
VM are not moving it. VM have a contract with every customer they have to offer services with as little downtime as possible.

They are not taking 1000's of people offline for hours or days to move a box for you because the builder build a house there.

It is not an H&S issue with the drive. The H&S issue is not the box its the drive. The drive shouldn't be built if its not safe to do so
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Daviddaaniel wrote:

I have recently bought a new build property, we have just been informed a green box will be partly obstructing our driveway. Looking into it this seems a health and safety issue as it would block view of children when entering and exiting the driveway. Is there anything we could possibly do to have the box moved? 

I have read other articles on here and I understand usually it would be pay ourself or it’s staying but I was wondering if it being a health and safety issue would make it a different case.

thank you. 

David

I'm afraid you have no chance as others have correctly pointed out 

0 Kudos