Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Green Junction box removal request

Hi, I have spoken to a Virgin Media advisor today and she advised to leave a post here.

I am looking to buy a property in Luton and the address is 40 StPauls Road Luton LU1 3RX but there is a green junction box right outside the front garden due to which a driveway cannot be made unless the box is removed.

I have spoken to Luton council and they have advised to contact Virgin Media directly and asked for the green junction box to be removed.

Please could you advise me on the process and cost involved because if the box cannot be removed then we will not proceed with the house purchase.

I would be grateful if somebody can get in touch asap.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Green Junction box removal request

Hello

If the junction box is on the public utility area which looks like it is from google and you are looking at getting it moved (VM will not remove it) if you want to place a driveway, then you will have to factor in those costs as well, VM will have to do a survey at your cost and then the re-siting of the box which could run into 10 of thousands.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@A_K wrote:

I have spoken to Luton council and they have advised to contact Virgin Media directly and asked for the green junction box to be removed.

Please could you advise me on the process and cost involved because if the box cannot be removed then we will not proceed with the house purchase.

it ain't gonna happen.
even if they would consider it, which they won't, you would be liable for the cost of the survey 10s of thousands of pounds, and if they agreed to move it you'd be liable for the costs of that, possibly 100s of thousands of pounds.

moving a cabinet is not a simple process. all surrounding properties are connected to that cabinet and would require re-wiring and downtime for those serviced properties.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank for your response guys. May I please request an employee of Virgin Media to respond to my query or provide contact details to whom I can address this issue to and get a definite answer. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I have escalated to the VM forum team, one of the VM staff will be along in this thread to have a look at it for you.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your help and support.

You have been of great help.

Kind regards 

AK

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@A_K wrote:

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your help and support.

You have been of great help.

Kind regards 

AK

Some grim reading for you:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/VM-Junction-Box-Over-Driveway/td-p/43... 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/Green-box-in-way-of-driveway/m-p/4329136 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

you would be liable for the cost of the survey 10s of thousands of pounds, and if they agreed to move it you'd be liable for the costs of that, possibly 100s of thousands of pounds.

Tens of thousands for the survey?  Come off it.  It'd be in the £500-1,500 range.   And there's publicly quoted examples where the cost of moving a cabinet have been quoted and accepted in the £10k to £20k range.  Whether that's acceptable to the requestor only they will know.  A linked question in a built up area is whether there is in fact anywhere suitable to move the cabinet to - if there isn't then VM won't be able to move it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Note that VM is only obligated to move a cabinet if there are health or safety issues, so a desire to drop a curb doesn't qualify. I have known one case where a cabinet was moved as it was blocking light to a homeowner's front room, but it was a much bigger one (a node cabinet I believe, height would have been 1,495mm).

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello @A_K 

Welcome to our Community and for your first post - we can see that you have had a number of replies from our users and VIP's but wanted a staff member to reply 🙂

Thanks for popping by in regard to the green cabinet outside this particular property and for the enquiry about possibly moving this. Whilst we're more than happy to ask the question to the relevant team for you, after looking at the location and doing some checks, we must advise that this is not likely to be possible. 

There is little maneuverability with our cabinet locations to start with and the work involved to find a suitable location (if there is indeed one) and then the additional work needed to move it is vast. It would be a major operation with customers services also being disrupted whilst the work goes ahead - possibly for days or weeks. 

Once we have any idea of the cost of the initial survey needed, we'll be sure to be in touch with you via Private Message to see if you wish to proceed. 

Cheers

Katie

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide